VMware Cloud Community
LiamCurtis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM with disks across different SAN's?

Hello All,

I have a win2k8 VM running as a fileserver on an EMC CX500. We also have an Enhance Technologies RS16 FS (fibre channel) with datastores on it. It is a fantastic unit and takes both SAS and SATA drives. I would like to increase everyone's HOME drive space and move data over to a vmdk on the RS16, but I am concerned with any possible issues in doing so.

All of my hosts can see the datastores on the RS16, but will there be any issues with vmotion, etc? Wondering if anyone else is running with a similar setup?

thnx!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As long as alll the ESX hosts have access to the datastores on both SANs there should not be a problem with vmotion, HA or DRS -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As long as alll the ESX hosts have access to the datastores on both SANs there should not be a problem with vmotion, HA or DRS -

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the ESXs can see both storages, just add another disk to the VM on the second storage.

Or use SVMotion (with advance option) to move one vmdk to a different datastore.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
LiamCurtis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies guys! I thought it might be the case, but wanted to get some feedback from others.

I don't want to move the entire vm to secondary storage, but only one vmdk.

0 Kudos