VMware Cloud Community
Brijn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM version 7 and DR

Hello,

With ESX 4 installed we can now create VM's with HW version 7. When we have a failure and need to move to a secondary site (not managed by us) that is still at ESX 3.5, what do we need to do then to get the VM's going. Can we run converter to change the HW to v4?

Tx

Bas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
byoung111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As a follow up, after converting a VM at hardware level 7 to an ESX 3.5 box, the hardware level reverts to 4 and the VM powers on with no problems.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jintoa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

ESX4 support both hardware version-7 and hardware version-4 VMs. But if you use Hardware Version-4 VMs in ESX4 many features which need HW-7 wont be available to you.

Signature: Disclaimer: My postings are my own and don’t necessarily represent VMware’s positions, strategies or opinions. If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanx!
0 Kudos
Brijn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I know, my questions is what happens if I move a v7 VM to a ESX 3.5 host

- Will not boot, need to run converter or some other process

- Will not boot, only way out is upgrade to ESX 4

- Will boot fine and autodowngrade HW

Bas

0 Kudos
byoung111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can not power on a VM with hardware version 7 on an ESX 3.5 server. It looks like you can run converter on it so you can power it on from a 3.5 server. I'm testing the converter process now, and I was able to start the process. I'll see what it's like when it's done.

byoung111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As a follow up, after converting a VM at hardware level 7 to an ESX 3.5 box, the hardware level reverts to 4 and the VM powers on with no problems.

0 Kudos
Brijn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you very much for that test. That is great!

Bas

0 Kudos