VMware Cloud Community
novicesx
Contributor
Contributor

VM supported files missing from the datastore!

Hi folks,

I have landed myself into a terrible situation.

We have an ESXi4 hosting a lot of clients and has two datastores. The VMs in datastore 1 are all in good shape. However the VMs in datastore 2 have got a problem.

When I browse through the directory of each VM, I see only 2 files .vmdk and .vswp. A VM having snapshots have an additional .delta.vmdk file in the folder. The other supported files are missing. This is for all the directories in that datastore. When I try to delete any of the folder, it comes up with an error message

Delete file

Error caused by file. /vmfs/volumes/4b1e8e7e-5814bd9c-109c-00219b97997a/WinXPPro_32bit

Now, the ESXi has only 4 VMs running yet the ESXi's Memory is almost exhausted. Seems to me like the VM instances are still running.

Thanks in advance for any pointers to resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
novicesx
Contributor
Contributor

Another update,

I logged into the console of ESXi and looked at the processes running the VMs. The VM folders which didn't have all the supported VM files had processes running associated with the VM. So, I manually killed each process for the orphan VMs and then I was able to delete the folders.

The memory consumption came down drastically and now the ESXi is working like a charm. This problem occurred only on one datastore. The other datastore remained unhurt.

However, I would like to know why the associated files of the VM went missing.

0 Kudos