VMware Cloud Community
jasaavedra
Contributor
Contributor

VM’s DNS registration deleted when upgrade VMtools

Hello.

We're having issues in one environment with some Windows VMs. I'm going to explain the scenario:

Previous scenario:

- All the hosts were ESX 4.0.

- VMs had several E1000 NICs.

- VMware Tools were out of date.

So, we've done an upgrade of those points in this way:

1) Hosts were upgraded to ESX 4.1 u2 through the Update Manager.

2) Every E1000 NIC was replaced by VMXnet3.

3) The last step was upgrade VMware Tools (with the mandatory reset).

After that we're finding issues with some Windows VMs (Server 2003 and 2008): the VM asks for DNS deletion of its A and PTR records every hour until the VM is rebooted.

Running "ipconfig /registerdns" is a temporary solution because the records are created but also deleted because of the behaviour explained above.

The only solution is rebooting the VM... After that its DNS register appears to be OK in the DNS server.

So we need to know the source of the problem (the VMXnet3 driver, the tools upgrade, etc.). I've only found two guys with the same problem and the same solution.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've seen this with a tools upgrade. The fix is as you describe.

See the comments in this post: http://wahlnetwork.com/2012/01/09/avoiding-those-pesky-reboots-when-updating-vmware-tools/

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
jasaavedra
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I knew your blog. Yesterday I found it when I was looking for any solution.

So, isn't there any solution for this issue? I mean if the only solution/workaround is rebooting the VMs or typing the DNS entry by hand.

Do you know any VMware or Microsoft solution/KB?

Again, thank you very much.

0 Kudos
julezatmortonbu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry to resurrect this post from the dead, but was there any official VMware resolution to this issue?

I've started a new thread in the ESXi 5 group as well.

VM’s DNS registration deleted when VMware tools is updated

0 Kudos