VMware Cloud Community
Mody2011
Contributor
Contributor

VM redundant and failover

I have 2 Vms on Physical Host and i need to use another Physical host (with 2 VMs also) as redundant failover. please note that there is an application database in both of them and we need to sync between 2 VMs as well as 2 Databases on them. Also we need to use one IP address for both of them. please advice.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
niyijr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

A few more details are required to better understand your environment.

I assume that the two physical hosts are running ESXi.

• Please confirm the version of the hosts?
  • Please provide more explanation on what you mean by "redundant failover"
  • Are both hosts in the same cluster?
  • Are they connected to a vCenter server?

If the answers to the last two questions above are yes, then with the right license, you should be able to use vSphere replication to replicate the two VMs from one host to another. The replicated VM would need to be powered up manually. In the end they will have the same IP address cos they are an exact copy of the original.

A second option is to use fault tolerance (FT) to protect the two VMs. You will need to consider the limits, high level requirements and licensing before choosing this option.

There are other 3rd party solutions that can be used to achieve this "redundant failover" but more understanding of what you mean by this term is required.

Cheers

Immortal
Immortal

>I have 2 Vms on Physical Host

Do you use free ESXi on 2 hosts with local storage only ?
If yes - I highly recommend to adjust your expectations and forget about your plan.

I dont say that it is impossible but it would require an insane amount of custom scripting.
If you want failover between hosts and redundancy you need to think BIG.

vCenter and shared storage would be minimal requirements for your demands.

Ulli

0 Kudos