VMware Cloud Community
hodhod26
Contributor
Contributor

VM power on time out

HI all,

after migration from SUN Storage 7410 to IBM V7000 i notice that the virtual machien take a long time than usual when power it ion and some time it is get the operation time out.

Regards.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you already take a look at the VM's vmware.log file to see if this contains any hints?

André

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

the only thing that changed in your setup seems to be your storage so concentrate troubleshotting  on that.

it could be a mis configuration on the storage side.

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
hodhod26
Contributor
Contributor

which log should i take alog. i have vmware.log and vmware 39.log, vmware40.log to vmware 45.log

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The vmware.log (without the numbers) is the current one. The other ones are backups of the last few log files.

André

0 Kudos
hodhod26
Contributor
Contributor

what i should be looking for in the log.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

See whether it contains any unusual entries, like timeouts, access issues, ... If you are unsure, attach the file to your next reply post.

André

0 Kudos
hodhod26
Contributor
Contributor

timeout: 60000 ms

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Although I like short answers, this one is a little bit too short Smiley Wink

In this case you may need to provide more details. Please attach the file to your next reply.post.

André

0 Kudos
hodhod26
Contributor
Contributor

sorry for short replay.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure, but you may try to cleanly shut down the VM rather than to suspend it. If you cannot access the VM/cannot shut it down, you may delete the .vmss file in the VM's folder, which is comparable to a hard reset on a physical system (e.g. pulling the power plug).

André

0 Kudos