VMware Cloud Community
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM power and snapshot options disabled/grayed out

This morning I woke up to the VMs not working.  I logged in using the Windows management client.  I could not do anything with the VMs, and two had snapshots.  Seldom does this happen, but when it does, I can reboot VMware, and drop any snapshots set by the nightly backup, and everything will be good.  When I restarted the ESXi, two out of three were fine, but I have one VM where the entire power menu is grayed out, and it shows no snapshots.  However, I have two delta VMDKs showing in the directory.  I thought I would add a snapshot and then do a delete all.  However, "Take Snapshot" is grayed out.  I don't care about the contents of the snapshot.  Any thoughts as to how I can recover the VM?

2 Replies
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The VM icon has an exclamation point.  After a long time it gave me the option to stop or retry.   I said stop, and tried to take a snapshot. That failed with the error:  Cannot complete the operation because file or folder already exists. [datastore-1] admin2/admin2.vmx.  I now had a power on option, so I tried that.  It powered up, but no snapshots show.  Next I tried to make a snapshot, but it shows "Insufficient disk space on datastore."  However, it shows 51 gigs of space free, which should be plenty for an empty snapshot.

0 Kudos
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 4.0
When I tried to make a snapshot with the VM running, the out of disk space error was nonsensical, so I rejected that out of hand.  What struck me was when I tried to make a snapshot with the VM off, I received the error: "Cannot complete the operation because file or folder already exists..."  This is what I did to fix it.
1.  I opened .vmx in a text editor to check which snapshot it was using.  I noticed it did not contain  a reference to the second snapshot.  That is what I was expecting to find.  It explained the "Cannot complete the operation because file or folder already exists...." error because there were 0002 snapshot files in the VM's directory.
2.  As a precaution, I started the VM.  With it running, I renamed the second snapshot's files by adding a z to their extension.  Because it allowed me to do this, I knew for sure they were not being used by the VM.
3.  I powered the VM down, and using the Client, I made a new snapshot, which I could not do before.  This left me with one snapshot showing in the in the Client, but I knew that the new snapshot had to be the second.
4.  From the Client I told it to delete all snapshots.  It was taking a long time, which indicated to me that it was merging 0001 snapshot as well as the 0002 snapshot I had created seconds before. 
5.  During the posting of snapshots, I watched the diskspace diminish and could see that I was going to have a problem.  The snapshot had grown huge because nobody knew it existed.  I maintain a directory on each volume named reserve.  They contain large files to reserve disk space for situations such as this.  I deleted the directory to free up space.  As I watched, the disk space got down to 30 megs, so I also powered down a non-essential VM, which returned 4 gigs of disk space.  It squeaked by with 3.30 gigs to spare.  Once it finished posting, I was back to 51+ gigs of free space on the volume.