VMware Cloud Community
wkfoster
Contributor
Contributor

VM move to new datastore failed. Ran out of space Help!

All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out I ran into a problem today. Unfortunately I was in need to move my wordpress vm to one of my other ESXI datastores.

During the move the datastore I was moving it to ran out of space and this left me with part of the datastore files on each server.

Im not sure what i should do here could you please help I really need these vms back.

Attached is a picture is what is in each datastore

(http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/djkyle65/esxi%20problem.jpg~original)

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Thats strange : you have Wordpress.vmdk in one datastore and Wordpress-flat.vmdk in the other one.
This seems to be to strange for poor Datastorebrowser.
Please provide a filelisting created with ls -lah or WinSCP.

0 Kudos
wkfoster
Contributor
Contributor

Continuum,

Thanks for much for your help!! Here is the files shown through scp

0 Kudos
wkfoster
Contributor
Contributor

I also noticed that my other server that also failed at the same time also ended up with 2 flat.vmdk files one at 100gb in size and the other at 1.7gb in size. I assume this is the majority of the problem and since they are the same name it wont be as simple as just merging the data store files back together.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

The guys that thought displaying vmdks as a single file is a good idea should be forced to solve all these cases after work !!
I need the descriptor vmdk for wordpress.vmdk - was the vmdk 100gb in size ?

0 Kudos
wkfoster
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the wordperss descriptor file.

The 100gb was what the datastore browser shows the vmdk's size is currently on the original data store.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Ok - the original size really was 100gb.
So delete the part that already arrived - and try to copy again.
You also need the vmx-file in the new location.
I would recommend to do such copies of vmdks with the vmkfstools -i command in future.

0 Kudos
wkfoster
Contributor
Contributor

Just to confirm delete the 2.9gb flat.vmdk from the transfer location and try to recopy the one from the original data store?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Yep

0 Kudos