VMware Cloud Community
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VM monitoring alert info needed

Hi All,

Below is the alert that I received for a VM

[VMware vCenter - Alarm Virtual machine high availability error] Cannot reset in cluster Datacenter due to a guest OS error.

I checked and verified that the Server was UP and reachable. The alert was continuously coming. I disabled the alert and then re enabled it after 90 minutes. After that the alert stopped.

I need to know why was the alert coming every 15 seconds and what can I do to prevent this happening in future.

Virtual Center and the Host are on ESX 4.x version

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I need to know why was the alert coming every 15 seconds and what can I do to prevent this happening in future.

Well, it is mostly the VM might be heavy running and tools might have not responded to it during that time. This might happen if you have VM monitoring and application monitoring enabled at high rates.

[VMware vCenter - Alarm Virtual machine high availability error] Cannot reset in cluster Datacenter due to a guest OS error.

This could be the possiblity that HA is unable to restart the Guest as the tools has not replied.

what can I do to prevent this happening in future.

Disable VMmonitoring Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thank you for your reply,

When you say that the tools did not respond >> is there any thing we can do about it (except disabling it Smiley Happy)

Are there any logs that I can check or anything else that I can check

Thanks

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

is there any thing we can do about it (except disabling it Smiley Happy)

It is not recommended nor a good practise to disable tools, however, you can change the VM monitoring/application sensitivity. Link

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-4-esx-vcenter/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.availability.doc_41...

Logs: You can always check vmware.log for the tools status, vpxa.log and aam.log on the action taken by HA.

0 Kudos