VMware Cloud Community
MMilivojevic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM migration - host cpu incompatible :(

Regards to all,

I just bought a new server (HP DL380 G8-Intel Xeon E5-2650 64 GB RAM) on which I installed VMware esxi 5.

in the data center I had 3 host esxi 4.1. I raised vcetner on the new server, version 5, and I put one of  3 esxi ver 4 to new vcenter.

everything seemed perfect to begin with.

I wanted to migrate machines from ver 4 to 5 and to gradually raise the entire dc to version 5, but there was problem with the migration.

"host CPU is incompatible with thw virtual machine's requirements at CPUID level 0x1 register 'ecx'. Host bits : 0000:0000:0000:0000:0010:0010:0000:0001

required> x0xx:xx1x:10x1:1xx0:xxxx:xx1x:xxxx:xx11

mismath detected for these features:

*PCLMULQDQ

*SSE4.1
*SSE4.2

*AES-NI

migracija.JPG

if posible, use cluster with Enhchanced vMotion Compatibility (EVC) enabled; see KB article 1003212. In the absence of EVC, see article 1993.

OK, no problem. I turn off the machine, and migrate it at power off state. i install esxi 5 to one of the hosts, and try on this new server to transfer powered on machine from new esxi5, but again without success.

I used VMware-CPU-Compatibility-exp-160 658 and I got the following results.

intel3065.jpg

e5-2650.jpg

pls help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You didn't mention how EVC is currently configured for the cluster!? Did you follow the KB article mentioned in the error message and set EVC to a baseline which supports your different hosts?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You didn't mention how EVC is currently configured for the cluster!? Did you follow the KB article mentioned in the error message and set EVC to a baseline which supports your different hosts?

André

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I had a similar issue when upgading my infrastruture from ESX 3.5 to ESXi 4.1 and then to ESXi 5.0. Most worked ok, but on ~120 out of ~1000 VM's I had this issue, even though all of my hosts were identical hardware in each cluster (3 different sets of hardware, and clusters).

The only way I was able to resolve it permanently was to power the VM's off and reset the CPU ID Masks back to default settings.

To do this;

1. Power the VM off
  2. Edit Virtual machine settings
  3. Select Options Tab, CPUID Mask and click on the Advanced Button
  4. Click Reset all to default on both tabs (Vritual Machine Default, and AMD override in my case)
  5. Click Ok, Ok to complet the configuration
  6. Power the VM on ... all works perfectly.

Obviously make sure that CPU features are supported between the hosts in your cluster.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jon

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
MMilivojevic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hosts are not clustered
Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

hosts are not clustered

Any special reason why not? Unless the hosts are in an cluster and configured with an appropriate baseline, you'll need to configure all the CPU mask manually like in the old times. Do you really want to do this?

André

0 Kudos
MMilivojevic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

nope.

it doesnt' work 4 me.

everytime it returns to expose flag...

expose.JPG

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Looks like the "Execute Disable Bit" isn't enabled in your host's BIOS?

If you need to enable the "Execut Disable Bit" you may need to power cycle the host in oder for the setting to take effect. A simple reboot might not be sufficient.

Hint: While you are in the BIOS, set the power options to Performance Static High for best host performance.

André

0 Kudos
MMilivojevic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

everything is enabled here

bios1.JPG

bios2.JPG

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

This sounds correct. Once you have reset the CPUID mask to defaults it should grey out the bottom radio button and have auto selected the expose flag. In this state you should be able to power the VM back on and test vmotion.

0 Kudos
MMilivojevic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

when i reset mask

reset_mask_1.JPG

everytime it returns to

Expose the NX/XD flag to guest.

do i have to leave in that way or to choose option on the picture below?

reset_mask_2.JPG

none of these doesnt work 4 me.

0 Kudos
MMilivojevic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i can migrate machines when they are powered off, but it doesnt work for me.

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

What processors are in the hosts that you're trying to vmotion between? It sounds like you will need to setup an EVC cluster.

0 Kudos
MMilivojevic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

intel xeon 3060@2.4

intel xeon e5-2650@2.0

this are settings of vmachine

vmachine.JPG

0 Kudos
MMilivojevic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sorry,

i was in real mess. i finish it few months ago.

vmware clustering.

0 Kudos