VMware Cloud Community
tafkap95210
Contributor
Contributor

VM memory must be less than or equal to 64 GB... Why?

Hello,

i'm very new on virtualization world.

Two days ago i installed vmware ESxi, 6.7, to see if the solution is sustainable for me, so i'm using the Evaluation mode and in my VM settings i can't put more than 64 GB of memory and I need at least 128 GB (my server have physical 512 GB ).

I thought that the ESxi Evaluation mode don't have limit for the VM memory.

Thanks for your help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine?
Which version of virtual hardware are you using on your virtual machine?
is it possible that you are you are using virtual hardware 4? VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Does it give you an error?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

And there's no limitation in Eval Mode around VM size. I always run with eval mode in our lab and have never hit this problem. Keep in mind though, that if you create a VM with 64GB of memory, it will also try to create a 64GB swapfile, so you need to have that diskspace available as well.

0 Kudos
tafkap95210
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

thank you for your answer.

I think i understood the problem. In fact, my VM comes from Workstation pro 15, it was actually created with 64 GB of memory, so I thought that by passing my ESxi I could have broken this limit.

To convert my VM i used Starwin V2V converter tool.

Is there any solution to my problem as I cannot recreate the VM.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Right-click your VM and click upgrade VM compatibility, that should do the trick.

0 Kudos
tafkap95210
Contributor
Contributor

I just did the upgrade and it doesn't work :smileycry:

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

When you edit settings, what does VM say? It should say something like (VMware vSphere 6.5 VM)

another option is to create a new VM and repoint the disks

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

In fact, my VM comes from Workstation pro 15, it was actually created with 64 GB of memory, so I thought that by passing my ESxi I could have broken this limit.

I don't know if this will resolve the problem, but since the VM was created in Workstation, try to see if there is the following line in the vmx

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

Remove that line and see whether it allows the VM RAM configuration to go beyond 64GB.

0 Kudos