VMware Cloud Community
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM import using Add inventory?

Hi We are trying to import a vm on a different esx server there are two issues we are facing:

1. First is that when we click the configuraiton tab of ESX server and browse the datastore than we right click vmx file and add it to inventory, after the vm is completely added we try to power it on. The windows server 2008 loading page appears but after that we only see a black screen on its console.
  2. Other VMs that have snapshots when we try to add those vms to inventory it gives an error message. VMware “Cannot open the disk ‘XXXXXX.vmdk’ or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.”

Please help.

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
12 Replies
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Gurus....waiting for your answer....Plz

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
rajeshcloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Create another VM with same configuration and add Hard disk from existing harddisk. Try it for temporary solution

Regards,Rajesh, if you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
nava_thulasi39

Hi,

What's the error in vmware.log file? and what about .vmx file.

If you attach those files, it will be easy to dig (Particularly for 2nd issue)

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have tried creating new VM and sepecifyin the disk through vmdk file but i get same response..SAME BLANK SCREEN AFTER WINDOWS SERVER 2008 LOADING APPEARS..

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

nava_thulasi39 I will upload the logs on monday.

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please take a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1016770 for the "blank screen" issue to see whether this helps.

André

0 Kudos
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Dudes,

Upon troubleshooting I have found one very weird finding i.e. I tried installing a fresh OS i.e. Windows server 2008x64 on the disk presented from EVA  the installation completes successfully after that when system reboots it displays “ Please wait while windows sets up your Computer” this text remains there forever and if I try to reboot the VM after windows loading bar appears and the VM screen again goes blank.

After this step I tried to install VM on local datastore of ESX it was successfully installed with no issue. So I thought the problem might be with the SAN storage i.e. EVA4400.

For a matter of test I connected the same ESX server to a different HP EVA storage box and presented a disk to it, after that I tried installing OS on it but it also gave the same response. I even tried using different media i.e. Windows server 2003 but I get same blank screen.

ESX version is 4.0.0

Please help.

Regards,

Khurram Shahzad

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can you please double check that the ESXi hosts are configured with the appropriate OS (VMware) in Command View. Even though this may be unrelated to the issue, also make sure each of the LUNs is presented to all hosts with the same LUN-ID.

André

0 Kudos
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi A.P

Yes i recheck the ESX host is configured with appropirate OS that i vmware selected in Command view.

Please note that Both ESX have the same version of vsphere installed i.e.4.0.0 ....

Both ESX have identical hardware i.e. DL380 G7 with same type and number of processor and RAM except the problematic ESX has the latest HBA firmware which i updated few weeks ago.

As a last test i presented the same disk to ESX-Primary which was previously presented to ESX-DR and tried to install Virtual machine....It was installed successfully.

So in short now it’s confirmed that problem is with ESX host because after all troubleshooting performed the problem is not with the EVA and ESX-Primary but it has something to do with ESX -DR configuration......

Please guide.

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

50% of Problem Solved by Changing the FCHBA with same model of FCHBA.

The problematic FCHBA was very strange we are able to see the disk presented from EVA, write onto that vdisk but unable to boot VM through that card. The FCHBA was even downgraded to earlier firmware and restored to factory settings but anyhow the culprit has been found.

So in short VM booting issue has been solved by changing the FCHBA on ESX-DR, now we are able to install new OS on SAN Disk. But one issue is still pending i.e. we are unable to import the VM’s to ESX-DR which have snapshots associated with them. While trying to add those machines the vShpere client gives the following error,

Message from ESX-DR: Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/4d7ba84b-5f48dd64-fc94-d485646b3-7ae/EBlackberry/EBlackberry-000007.vmdk' or one  of the snapshot disks it depends on. Reason: The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created.

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

read this kb http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100796...

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To find out what's wrong with the VM's with snapshots, please explain how you export the VMs and how you import them. Are the VMs powered off while you export them?

It may help to take a look at the VM's latest vmware.log file. Please attach this to your next post to see whether it contains some hints.

André

0 Kudos