VMware Cloud Community
hihiy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM guest OS system time is changed back after it's restarted.

hi all,

The esx server time is GMT time zone.

A vm is created on this esx server and vm time zone is changed to GMT+8 manually.

Howver, this vm system time is changed back to GMT after it's restarted. The vmware tools on this vm is unselected on first option.

How can I keep time zone to GMT+8 on this vm?

thank you guys.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi Hihihy..

You do not want to turn that on. Your VM will then get its time from the ESX host periodically.... but even with this turned off, there're times where this happens anyway... (VMTools startup, Snapshot'ing etc) To turn these off you might need to implement settings described here...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1189

/Rubeck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Actually you will want that option checked - that should force it to look at the ESX server system clock and then apply the GMT offset -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
hihiy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sorry, weinstein5 , i didnt undertand what you mean.

my esx server is GMT, and I want to keep my vm which in running on this esx server is GMT+8. After I restart this vm, the time zone is changed back to GMT. I did NOT check that option on vmware tools. so ,what should I do?

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi Hihihy..

You do not want to turn that on. Your VM will then get its time from the ESX host periodically.... but even with this turned off, there're times where this happens anyway... (VMTools startup, Snapshot'ing etc) To turn these off you might need to implement settings described here...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1189

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
sabya1232003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

friends,

Another method of resolving this issue is configuring the NTP client on the VM and syncing it with a local NTP server.if the configuration is made properly it can adjust the time as on the NTP server each time after reboot.

But installing Vmware tool is recommend in any such cases