ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  VM folder name does not match VM file names

Posted Apr 22, 2015 01:18 PM

I only recently discovered this for one of our VMs via RVTools.

The VM is 'sql4' and all the files are sql4.* but somehow, I don't know how, they are all in a folder called sql4_1 while the actual sql4 folder contains only a sql4-1.png file.

I know this apparently does not affect the VM's function wrt end users et al.

I am puzzled how this happened and how (if at all) it should be fixed so the folder name matches the VM name and VM file names.

Any remedies??
    P.S. This is not a svMotion file renaming issue.

Thank you, Tom

• 2.  RE: VM folder name does not match VM file names

Posted Apr 22, 2015 01:27 PM

Hi,

maybe the VM was once deleted and created new and this old folder and the png are leftovers.

The new VM with the same name will automaticly be stored in the _1 folder.

To fix this simply svMotion to a new datastore. During this process the folder on the new datastore and all the vmdk-files etc. will be renamed to the actual VM-name.

Tim

• 3.  RE: VM folder name does not match VM file names

Posted Apr 22, 2015 01:31 PM

Possible but I don't have any way to know...I created the VM years ago under probably vSphere 4.

I don't see how svMotion would fix anything...the files are all named correctly, only the folder is mis-named.

I'd like to think renaming the folder itself is non-destructive but I'm inquiring here first.

Thank you, Tom

• 4.  RE: VM folder name does not match VM file names
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 22, 2015 01:36 PM

Hi,

just renaming the folder on the VMFS would break the VM, as all the paths in the vmx files don't match anymore.

Try the svMotion. It renames the folder as well :smileywink:

Tim

• 5.  RE: VM folder name does not match VM file names

Posted Apr 22, 2015 01:39 PM

Okay...(hmmm skeptical :smileyhappy: )...I tried it.

I LIKED IT!!!

Thank you, Tom

• 6.  RE: VM folder name does not match VM file names

Posted Apr 22, 2015 01:37 PM

like tim allready said, you have to svmotion the vm to a new datastore and the files will be renamed automatically.