VMware Cloud Community
w3nd377
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM does not migrate

Attempting to migrate a Win2K8 R2 64-bit system from Node 4 to Node 1. There are three SCSI adapters within the VM that have bus-sharing due to the FC SAN for shard storeage (10 shared drives with a second system...yes it is for Exchange). I powered down the system in questions, did the migrate from node 4 to node 1 with zero errors in the GUI. Selected Node 1 and it shows up, right click to power it on, says it is registering on system and then bounces back to Node 4 for power on. Have powered it down twice now to migrate the system onto the same node as future cluster partner as it times out for joining to cluster.

Anyone have similar issue with a VM not wanting to truly migrate nodes?

And/or has anyoen had similar issue with a VM running 2008 R2 64-bit time out on attempt to join a cluster with another VM with same OS, drive mappings, etc on different node? (Logging at lvl5 did not shine much light on issue for me) Both of the VMs for cluster have passed the Windows cluster verification.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You could test by either changing DRS to manual and then try powering it on. Or before you try to power it on, put node 4 into maintenance mode.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you have DRS active and set to partially or fully automated? Maybe that is causing it to go to your other host as it thinks it is less busy?

0 Kudos
w3nd377
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DRS is activated, do you think DRS is preventing me from migrating the system from Node4 to Node1? All of the VM systems are set for automatic which was default upon installation. Do I need to set the virtual system in question to manual so that the DRS will allow ESX to migrate the sytem from Node4 to Node1? Power management is not being used and there are zero rules within DRS. At present Node1 has three systems running from it....one is the mirror system with 1CPU, 8GB RAM, and 10 shard drives...."Memory (%)" utilization is at ~33%. When the second side of the cluster is powered on within Node4, it adds ~15% to "Memory (%)" utilization.

I get the strong feeling I might need to reread the section concerning DRS as Novice/N :smileysilly: :pb status may be shining through.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You could test by either changing DRS to manual and then try powering it on. Or before you try to power it on, put node 4 into maintenance mode.

0 Kudos
w3nd377
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked....forced the VM virutal system to be manual config for DRS and it moved over to Node1. Looks like I will be rereading DRS section of the ESX manual over the weekend.

0 Kudos