VMware Cloud Community
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VM disks consolidation is needed warning on the summary tab not going away

Hi All,

In my environment we are using EMC Networker VADP application to backup/restore VM's.

When we restore any VM it makes 1MB snapshot files on the restored VM. We then delete the 1MB delta files and re add the vmdk's and power on the machine.

However it shows this warning on the VM that disks need to be consolidated. Snapshot attached.

The snapshot files are no longer present and I have cleared the alarm as well but the warning will not go away from the summary tab.

Any suggestions on what can be done to clear this warning

summary tab.PNG

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> We then delete the 1MB delta files and re add the vmdk's ...

Can you please explain what Networker is doing here? Why do you need to delete the files manually rather than to use the Snapshot Manager?

With deleting the delta files manually, I guess that there's still some information about the snapshots in the VM's .vmsd file, which then doesn't match the reality anymore.

André

0 Kudos
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Andre,

I am not very sure why EMC Networker is not deleting the delta files. These delta files are not seen in the Snapshot manager and we need to delete them manually from datastore browser.

Will it be fine if we can delete the snapshot database file vmsd and let it get created again?

thanks

0 Kudos
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I deleted the vmsd file and re-registered the VM. This seems ok for the moment

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Don't rely on the Snapshot Manager! It's important to find out what's configured for the VM. Which virtual disk file shows up in the VM's HDD settings?

In case it's the snapshot .vmdk, create a open the Snapshot Manager, create a new snapshot and then run "Delete All" to see whether this resolves the issue without any manual editing.

André

0 Kudos