VMware Cloud Community
jnachman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM disk running low on space

I am a VM running low on space, Host is ESXI 5.1 and the VM is server 2008 R2.  This drive is just a storage disk on the host and has no OS on it.  The drive is provisioned thick can I just up the disk space in vSphere and then expand it in the OS without having issues or shutting down the VM?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, you can do it on the fly without any issues.

Please make sure that this VMDK sticks to configuration maximum for 5.1 i.e 2 TB

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

View solution in original post

7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, expanding the virtual disk followed by resizing the guest's partition should work without downtime.

André

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Discussion moved from Community Website Help  to VMware ESXi 5

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, you can do it on the fly without any issues.

Please make sure that this VMDK sticks to configuration maximum for 5.1 i.e 2 TB

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

jnachman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks A.P. !

0 Kudos
jnachman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So my volume is already at 2TB on that drive, should I create a new volume and span the two???

0 Kudos
jnachman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My Virtual volume is at 2TB but I am using vSphere 6 to manage this ESXI 5.1 host/VM.  With that being said can I up the volume over 2TB without issues?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, support for >2TB volumes was introduced with vSphere 5.5, i.e. the host needs to run ESXi 5.5 or later (for further details see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2058287)

With versione prior to v5.5 the maximum virtual disk size was 2TB minus 512 Bytes. Howevwer, for virtual disks which need to be snapshotted the maximum was ~2,032GB due to the metadata overhead in a snapshot .vmdk file.

André