VMware Cloud Community
AleTib
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM crashes if LPe11000 is used with PCI Passtrough (but not with other cards)

Hi! I have a single ESXi host that rruns various VMs.

I found out that if I pass through an Emulex LPe11000 card, the guest crashes. Let me resume some facts:

- I have a linux VM with a PCIe ASMedia eSATA controller passed-through card that has been working for years

- I have a Windows 8.1 VM that I used for long time with an LSI SCSI controller in passtrough without problem

- I have replaced the LSI SCSI with the Emulex FC4. The VM boots normally. If I try to install the driver it powers off
- I have created a new VM; if the Emulex card is passed through, even the Windows boot disk (tried W7 and W10) makes the machine power off. Same problem if I try to boot with a live ISO of Ubuntu 18.04

If I boot with windows 8 on the physical hardware, the system goes up and I'm able to install the Emulex driver normally.

ESXi continues running flawlessly when the VM guest powers off.

So I'm wondering: why that issue only with that specific card? How to fix it? Any suggestion?

and sorry, I'm running 6.7.0 Update 2 (Build 13006603) on a Lenovo M93P.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AleTib
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

for those who may have the same problem and read this post: problem has been fixed by updating the firmware of the HBA card Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AleTib
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

for those who may have the same problem and read this post: problem has been fixed by updating the firmware of the HBA card Smiley Happy

0 Kudos