VMware Cloud Community
DevaDx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM Ware ESXI Dump Files

Hi Geeks,

Greetings,

ESXI datastore space is suddenly increased.

Am looking to view and delete the dump files that present in my ESXI server and also inside my VM.

cal you please help me by providing some solutions to resolve my issues?

Thanks&Regards

Devaraj.S

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vasan22in
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

You use this cmd to check which partition core dump is configured,

esxcli system coredump partition get

Check it's active and configured. Once you identified the datastore you can browse and delete it.

-Srini

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Thanks, Srini

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vasan22in
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

You use this cmd to check which partition core dump is configured,

esxcli system coredump partition get

Check it's active and configured. Once you identified the datastore you can browse and delete it.

-Srini

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Thanks, Srini
0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Devaraj,

Dump files of VMs don't typically take up much space, either way, if you don't require dump files located on VMFS storage for further analysis, these are safe to delete.

I see from some of your other posts you recently started using snapshot-based back-ups - snapshots are essentially thin-provisioned disks that are being written to instead of the changes being written to the underlying -flat.vmdk base-disk. This means that as data is changed/added on the VM that these grow in size (until they reach the size of the base-disk).

I think the first thing you should do here is to check which (if any) VMs are running on snapshots and consolidate these snapshots (this writes the change-data in the snapshot back into the -flat.vmdk base-disk) which may save a sizeable amount of space.

An easy way to figure out which VMs have snapshots is to connect to a host via SSH and run:

# find -iname *000*vmdk

This will display all snapshot disks and you can see which VMs require disk consolidation e.g.:

./vmfs/volumes/12345678-abcdefgh-1234-1234abcd5678/VM-Name/VM-Name-000001.vmdk

./vmfs/volumes/12345678-abcdefgh-1234-1234abcd5678/VM-Name/VM-Name-000001-delta.vmdk

./vmfs/volumes/12345678-abcdefgh-1234-1234abcd5678/VM-Name/VM-Name-000002.vmdk

./vmfs/volumes/12345678-abcdefgh-1234-1234abcd5678/VM-Name/VM-Name-000002-delta.vmdk

These can be consolidated using the Web Client:

Right-click VM in Inventory> Snapshots > Delete All Snapshots 

This process consolidates all the changes contained in the snapshot into the base-disk.

If you don't have snapshots and are running out of space then it is likely that you are using thin-provisioned disks and need to provision additional storage space.

Bob

0 Kudos
srii
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi ,

To see dump files in ESXi

Login through putty --> in ls cracked partition you can find dump files.

And please check is there any snapshots are taken of vm'sbecause it is like backup.

And delete unwanted clones.

thanks.

0 Kudos