VMware Cloud Community
joogle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Unconfigured Disk After Swapping Hard Drive Slots / Bays

Hi - I have ESXi 5.5 configured in DL380 G6 HP Server and three independent logical drives.  I had swapped hard drive in slot 1 with slot 3 to do a test, but then placed it back in original slots.

In the ESXi VMware client I see the hard drives detected but next to it says 'Unconfigured Disk' and the VMs I have say unknown inaccessible.

I removed the VM from the inventory based on a KM note but the problem is I don't see my datastores, none of the hard drive show up in the Configuration > Storage > Devices section. Though I can see them in the Configuration > Health Status > Storage area.

Any thoughts on what I can do for the disk to be properly recognized, all that was done was slot/bay 1 of the hard drive was moved to slot/bay 3 then vice versa.

Would appreciate the help as I would hate to start all over.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
brunofernandez1
Jump to solution

have you allready rescanned the raid controller?

what is saying the raid controller when you boot up the server? the hp raid controller can sometimes lock the disks if they find missconfigurations on it...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
brunofernandez1
Jump to solution

have you allready rescanned the raid controller?

what is saying the raid controller when you boot up the server? the hp raid controller can sometimes lock the disks if they find missconfigurations on it...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
0 Kudos
joogle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I forgot to post a update in case someone else ran into the problem, but what the previous poster said helped.

I booted the raid configuration utility on the HP server, it showed as drives not configured.  I decided might as well create the logical drive again through the HP server, thinking everything is lost, but it was not.

I created the drives again, rebooted, and then ESXi could see the drives, by moving the drives around with my Raid 0 configuration, the structure it seems got corrupted.

So the answer to the question is go to the HP Raid utility, create the logical drives again, it will not format your drives, and the drives will appear in ESXi again.

0 Kudos
dlugo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi:

I have a similar issue, where I have a bunch of Unconfigurable disks (see screen shot). But this host only has 8 Bay's. On the storage health it show from Disk 9 to Disk 28 I think that are Unconfigurable. 

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
I suggest you open a new post, because it is unlikely to get an answer to a comment in an old post or/and that is marked as solved.

You should include as much information as possible such as version and build of vmware vsphere, type and model of server, type of connection to external storage (if any). Type and model of adapters (if applicable to the problem).

There is currently a problem reported in both VMware and HPE for firmware and drivers that show alerted disks or disks in higher quantities than the existing physical ones in some HPE server types and VMware versions.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos