VMware Cloud Community
InflxxEC
Contributor
Contributor

VM Startup + Shutdown

So I am trying to configure my APCs to shutdown my hosts and vms gracefully with there Powerchute software and my 4.1 vMA. I have installed the software on the vMA and added my (6) hosts. I have (3) APC 5000's. I am using a redundant configuration and have added all 3 mangement IPs in the configuration wizard.

I am stuck on the VM startup and shutdown. I am not quite sure what the settings need to be for each host. I read this KB - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1008182 and I am confused by it really.  Do I want my VMs to be in the manual startup group? If so will the shutdown gracefully when the host goes down. And start backup when the host comes up?

Or do i actually have to put them in an order? Also I am running HA so will this be an issue. And is there any good way to test this out with a host in my cluster?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi InflxxEC

Check the "Allow virtual machines to start and stop automatically with the system" box.

Move the VMs to the Any Order (to power them up at any time) or Automatic Startup (if your VMs have dependencies and need to be powered up in a specific order). Manual startup will require user intervension to power on or off.

I've not used this in a cluster setup, only at home on a standalone box. So I'm not sure if the settings follow the VM if they are migrated to another host.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
InflxxEC
Contributor
Contributor

That is what I originally thought was to put them in automatic startup or any order but after reading the APC KB - http://nam-en.apc.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10380 which references that VMware I don't understand why they want you to drop them back to manual? I have a support request open with them as well but was wondering if any admins have this working in their environment where the VMs gracefully shutdown when an APC loses power or goes down.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Weird. I definitely have my home lab set to an ordered startup and shutdown (as I am running a virtual vCenter, SQL DB, and Domain Controller). It works fine.

Maybe this is something specific to APC? You might want to perform a test run to see what the results are. Maybe get all the VMs off a host except for a single test VM and try a test run of the power loss software to see the behavior first hand.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos