VMware Cloud Community
jcosta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM Startup / Shutdown loose connection to local LUN for a few seconds

I have a brand new r730 with 15K SAS drives and a mini perc H710 controller running in RAID 5 and every time I start up or shut down a VM I get an error message that it lost connection to the local lun and then immediately following it says connection restored.

Successfully restored access to volume XXXX(removed ID from error)

(local) following connectivity issues.

info

1/5/2016 6:36:04 PM

Lost access to volume XXXX(removed ID from error) (local) due to

connectivity issues. Recovery attempt is in progress and outcome will be reported

shortly.

info

1/5/2016 6:35:49 PM

If the VM is running on my NAS it is fine and I can restart it all day long and nothing happens to the Local LUN.

I am running ESXI 6 build 3247720 with the latest firmware updated yesterday.

I was originally running Raid 10 and switched it to RAID 5 just to see if it was a raid issue.

After the VMs are started it never looses connection to the local lun again.  Snapshots, moving VMs, backups...nothing affects it other than restarting the VMs and restarting it makes it happen EVERY time so I can reproduce it on command!

When it happens all the VMs lock up for a split second and then start working again.  This is a VDI machine so I can't have everyones virtual desktops locking up every time someone decides to restart their desktop.

I am working with VMware but that aren't sure what the issue is yet so I was hoping someone else might have some ideas or experienced the same issue in the past.

Thanks, 

J

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Paltelkalpesh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there any logs are generated while restarting of VM.

0 Kudos
jcosta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

only the one about loosing connection to the local lun.  VMWare spent two hours looking at it today and couldn't figure it out.

0 Kudos
jcosta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well I tried to update the driver for the PERC controller to see if that would help and it didn't.   Upon restarting the VDIs all 10 desktops started up at once causing multiple lost connectivity errors all at one time and caused 3 of the VDIs to crash and go into repair mode.  I eventually had to recompose those VMs to get them useable again.

This is really get frustrating and I can't get any one from VM or Dell to shed any light on it.

0 Kudos