VMware Cloud Community
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

VM Snapshot concept

Hi All,

I'd like to ask a question in regards to VM snapshot,

1.what will happen if i commit the snapshot in a VM ? does the changes that i made after creating the snapshot will become permanently written to the VMDK or it will be UNDO ?

2. When a VM already got snapshot more than two what will happened during the VCB backup -fullvm ?

thanks for the help.

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
naveenvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For your first question whenever we do "create snapshot" - this puts a lock on i/o for the .vmdk file and creates another .vmdk file which possess all the changes done to the state of previos .vmdk file. Now we have two options -

delete - This will save all changes since the creation of snapshot and will commit the VM in the current state and then will delte the snapshot file. In short you will get the current state of VM with all data.

remove - This will remove all the changes done since the creation of snapshot and will reach to the previos state of the VM and simply delete the snapshot. In shot you will get previos state of the VM with some data loss.

Regards

NUTZ VCP 3.5 (Preparing for VCP 4)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
danpalacios
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In answer to your questions:

1. when you commit (or delete) a snapshot, the changes from the snapshot are incorporated into the vmdk. In order to UNDO, you have to REVERT to a previous snapshot. You should receive a warning that all changes will be lost.

2. I am not 100% certain, but I believe that VCB will back up ALL of the files, snapshots included. When you do a restore, then, you would have your original vmdk and the snapshots in existence at the time of the backup.

naveenvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For your first question whenever we do "create snapshot" - this puts a lock on i/o for the .vmdk file and creates another .vmdk file which possess all the changes done to the state of previos .vmdk file. Now we have two options -

delete - This will save all changes since the creation of snapshot and will commit the VM in the current state and then will delte the snapshot file. In short you will get the current state of VM with all data.

remove - This will remove all the changes done since the creation of snapshot and will reach to the previos state of the VM and simply delete the snapshot. In shot you will get previos state of the VM with some data loss.

Regards

NUTZ VCP 3.5 (Preparing for VCP 4)
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

always keep in mind that "delete" in snapshotmanager is almost the exact opposite than "delete" in common sense.

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks to all for the response.

Now it is clear that by having a snapshot can increase the amount of disk space needed too, and during the backup VM+snapshot pair will also be snapshoted again Smiley Happy but nothing is deleted or commited. (in other words the fullvm VCB backup can still go fine even with the VM which has multiple snapshots).

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos