VMware Cloud Community
nixhead
Contributor
Contributor

VM Pool in ESXi 5.1?

Is it possible to make pools of machines from Template like RHEV in VMware ESXi 5.1
If possible can anybody guide me.
Do we need extra licensing?
Tags (2)
5 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Nixhead,

Welcome to the community.

What exactly do you mean by making pools of machines?

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
kermic
Expert
Expert

In case you mean deploying VMs from templates, you'll need a vCenter Server. Can't do that on a standalone ESXi host.

vCenter can be purchased separately or together with vSphere licenses in bundles. The lowest / cheapest option would be the Essentials Bundle.

0 Kudos
nixhead
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks kermic for replying so quickly!

Yes i do know about Vcenter and I have been making machines from template only, but the problem is that if I have to make 20 machines of same config, then I do it one by one, so my question is that can't I do it in one go, like I can number the machines which I want to make from that very template.

This I used to do it in RHEV where we can make a pool of machines from one template.

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

You can use powercli to deploy multiple VM's using Template.

Check this link for the script.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
kermic
Expert
Expert

In this case I'd use PowerCLI to script this.

Take a look at New-VM cmdlet here: http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/PowerCLI/PowerCLI51/html/New-VM.html

there's also an example script to deploy VM from template (Example 10)

here is a sample script that I use in my environment to deploy bunches of VMs from time to time:

#####################

$first=1
$last=20

$Template="templatevm"

$VC="myvc.mydomain.local"

$MyHost="myesxi.mydomain.local"

$Specification="myspecification"

$Datastore="mydatastore"

Connect-VIServer -Server $VC

#Deploy VMs from template on datastore

$first..$last | Foreach {

$vm="VM"+$_

New-VM -Name $vm -VMHost $MyHost -Location MyBlueFolder -Template (Get-template $Template) -Datastore (Get-datastore $Datastore) -OSCustomizationSpec $Specification

sleep 5

#Powerup VM
Start-VM -VM $vm
}

#####################

this creates 20 vms (VM1..VM20) from template, applies customization specification and powers them up.