VMware Cloud Community
unrealone001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Network adapters E1000 vs VMXNET2 (Enhanced) vs VMXNET3

Hi,

I have installed a VM running SBS 2011 server on a ESXi 5.5, I had to use e1000 for windows to see the network adapter.

Is this best practice or should I use the VMXNET Adapters, please advise?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This will help you VMware KB: Choosing a network adapter for your virtual machine

The VMXNET3 adapter is the next generation of Para virtualized NIC designed for performance. The VMXNET3 network adapter is a 10Gb virtual NIC. Drivers are shipped with the VMware tools and most OS are supported. VMXNET3 is much faster than e1000 or e1000e. VMXNET3 has less CPU overhead compared to e1000 or e1000e. VMXNET3 is more stable than e1000 or e1000e

If you are using VMXNET, one thing to remember is to install VMware tools. As it will be available only after tools are installed. This happens because its a network card that won't have drivers from OS side.

Do consider awarding points by choosing correct answer Smiley Happy

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

View solution in original post

5 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This will help you VMware KB: Choosing a network adapter for your virtual machine

The VMXNET3 adapter is the next generation of Para virtualized NIC designed for performance. The VMXNET3 network adapter is a 10Gb virtual NIC. Drivers are shipped with the VMware tools and most OS are supported. VMXNET3 is much faster than e1000 or e1000e. VMXNET3 has less CPU overhead compared to e1000 or e1000e. VMXNET3 is more stable than e1000 or e1000e

If you are using VMXNET, one thing to remember is to install VMware tools. As it will be available only after tools are installed. This happens because its a network card that won't have drivers from OS side.

Do consider awarding points by choosing correct answer Smiley Happy

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would use the VMXNET adapter to run the VM's since it uses customized Network drivers for the VM Guest OS, The only criteria is it requires to install the VMware tools.

Thanks,
Avinash

Gortee
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yep simple answer you should use vmxnet3 for best performance and options but you have to install vmware tools to get it to work.

Joseph Griffiths http://blog.jgriffiths.org @Gortees VCDX-DCV #143
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I had to use e1000 for windows to see the network adapter

This would imply you did not install the VMware Tools. Please do so - there are plenty of other reasons you want these.

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just small correction:

You have to install VMware-tools only on all "windows-like" VMs (as it is in case of OP). But you can use vmxnet3 on all linux-VMs without tools, because vmxnet3-driver is part of kernel-tree...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos