VMware Cloud Community
bahamut_x2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Memory Reservation - When is it a good idea to set it?

What is a rule of thumb of deciding weather to configure memory reservation or not. I've seen alot of environments where there is no reservation but seen other environment where virtually 90% of the VMs have reservation. Most of these VMs are not mission critical.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

you set a reservation when you need a guarantee that a given workloads always receives the resources it demands. Basically, when demand and entitlement need to be equal. I would not set reservations on all VMs, i typically would only do it when there's a use case for it. And when you have sufficient memory, it usually even doesn't make sense, as VMs would receive the resource they demand anyway.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

When you want to guarantee no memory reclamation for a VM in the situation when the host is under memory pressure. But it can have implications of VM failovers in a HA cluster.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

you set a reservation when you need a guarantee that a given workloads always receives the resources it demands. Basically, when demand and entitlement need to be equal. I would not set reservations on all VMs, i typically would only do it when there's a use case for it. And when you have sufficient memory, it usually even doesn't make sense, as VMs would receive the resource they demand anyway.

berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

a special case is when you use nvidia gpu in your vm - reserving all guest memory is then mandantory

bahamut_x2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone for helping me out!

0 Kudos
bahamut_x2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was thinking same. Almost all have memory reservation and I could not see why. A 4GB RAM VM does not need reservation especially when it's a low priority server.

0 Kudos