VMware Cloud Community
ManeeshPChawda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM - Manage

Hi,

I have VM created in VMWare Workstation 16 but Under VM-Manage, why upload, download and permissions are greyed out.

Attached is the screenshot. Can anyone advise.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fabio1975
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ciao

the download and permission options are enabled only if the VM is on a remote server (the case in which with VMware Workstation you have connected to an ESXi host or a vCenter and therefore work with remote VMs).

The VM in your case is local on the client where VMware Workstation is installed, if so the only option you can use is upload to upload the VM to a remote host.

Download --> for download on local the VM that is running on a remote server 

Permission --> for modifying the remote permission on VM if the VM is running on a remote server

Upload --> for upload a local VM on a remote server 

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ManeeshPChawda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Spoiler

Please advise

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ciao 

Try taking the VM out of sleep (pausa).

That should be the one to disable the Upload and Download functions.

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog

0 Kudos
ManeeshPChawda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I tried in both situations, i.e. Suspended, Powered On Running - In both case only Upload is enabled but Download and Permissions are disabled. Can you advise way out.

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ciao

the download and permission options are enabled only if the VM is on a remote server (the case in which with VMware Workstation you have connected to an ESXi host or a vCenter and therefore work with remote VMs).

The VM in your case is local on the client where VMware Workstation is installed, if so the only option you can use is upload to upload the VM to a remote host.

Download --> for download on local the VM that is running on a remote server 

Permission --> for modifying the remote permission on VM if the VM is running on a remote server

Upload --> for upload a local VM on a remote server 

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog