VMware Cloud Community
ginger8990
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM ESXi and Cisco UCS and EMC SANs a question from a newbie

I am confused about where to install ESXi 5.0. Is it on a windows Server or UCS blades if you have UCS blades and EMC SANs

I know we need to install vcenter, do an initial set up on Cisco UCS blades. Do I need to connect EMC Sans?

How to set these all up ? I need some tutorial step by steps for these 3 kind of hardware to put together.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NagangoudaPatil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can install any OS on blades, it is like single console for all blades connected with storage and network, it requires networking and storage knowledge to setup Cisco Blades. Each blade will have remote console like iLO or DRAC, you can mount ISO image and start installing OS, depending upon the requirement we can configure boot from local disk or boot from SAN, UCS engineer who has enough knowledge will create service profiles for different set of requirement like for Windows Server and for ESXi servers or for Citrix Xen servers, each requirement will have profile, just add blades and map service profile to blade access the server from console, please download UCS virtual appliace and confiure and start learning.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ginger8990
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for all these links, they are very helpful. I got some pictures now but how these UCS blades physically connect to EMC SANs and vCenter physical box. These are all done in UCS manager?

0 Kudos
NagangoudaPatil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can install any OS on blades, it is like single console for all blades connected with storage and network, it requires networking and storage knowledge to setup Cisco Blades. Each blade will have remote console like iLO or DRAC, you can mount ISO image and start installing OS, depending upon the requirement we can configure boot from local disk or boot from SAN, UCS engineer who has enough knowledge will create service profiles for different set of requirement like for Windows Server and for ESXi servers or for Citrix Xen servers, each requirement will have profile, just add blades and map service profile to blade access the server from console, please download UCS virtual appliace and confiure and start learning.

ginger8990
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This answer cleared my confusion. ll study materials won't tell you which one to configure first --UCS blades and vcenter...

For example:

I have 9 hosts on cisco UCS blades and 50 virtual machine servers sit on these 9 hosts.

I  need to install ESXi 5.1 on these hosts separately or install ESXi 5.1 on a single console after configure UCS to make it as a single data center?

0 Kudos
NagangoudaPatil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You have to install ESXi on each blades and configure networking and storage and then install vCentre server in one of the Windows 2003/2008 server and configure HA/DRS and start managing, UCS is like single console to access all blades, networking, storage configurations.

0 Kudos