VMware Cloud Community
amorison
Contributor
Contributor

VM Client install on Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Hi all,

Obviously, Windows 8 Consumer Preview is not a supported product, however, having installed it, I would like to use the VM Client for 5.0.. When installing it comes up with "This product can only be installed on Windows XP SP2 and above"

Has anyone had a chance to have a look at this and have found a workaround?

Andrew Morison.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
goody3335
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into the same issue...

0 Kudos
goody3335
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, the workaround is pretty easy.  Just right click on the setup and click on Troubleshoot Compatibility.  Follow the wizard for that and then continue the install for the vSphere client.  That worked for me.  One caveat, though, is that I'm still getting the "The VMRC console has disconnected...attempting to reconnect" when I try to go the console tab (and when I try to open console.  However, all the other functionality seems to be there.

0 Kudos
amorison
Contributor
Contributor

I went through the Compatibility wizard and had no luck..

Any chance of posting the selections you made?

Regards,

Andrew Morison - Techno Phobia

Sent from my PacNet powered Blackberry Bold 9700

0 Kudos
goody3335
Contributor
Contributor

I clicked on the "Try recommended settings" and then clicked on the "Test the program" button.  When that was complete, I clicked Next.  I believe it automatically chose Windows XP sp3 as the compatibility mode.  That started up the install and I just Nexted though all the client setup stuff and it installed successfully. 

0 Kudos
amorison
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm.. Interesting.. Tried the same and came up with my same issue.. I wonder what the difference could be..

0 Kudos
goody3335
Contributor
Contributor

I think I right clicked and ran it as administrator too

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

0 Kudos
goody3335
Contributor
Contributor

Umm...I also turned my UAC settings completely off and I'm a local admin on the machine.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

0 Kudos
jsamul
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Compatibility Mode as "Windows 7" for the viclient setup file should do the trick.

If you use "Windows XP SP3" compatibility mode, installation fails.

Also "Run as administrator" may be needed, based on LUA settings.

Jan

0 Kudos
goody3335
Contributor
Contributor

Actually XP SP 3 installed fine for me.  With Windows 7 compatibility, is your console working?

0 Kudos
jsamul
Contributor
Contributor

Well,

it probably depends on version of viclient.

for VMware-viclient-all-5.0.0-455964.exe the "Windows XP SP3" does not work, at least for me.

Anyhow, if "Windows XP SP3" does not work for you, try the "Windows 7" compatibility mode.

I suppose, one of those should work just fine.

Jan.

0 Kudos
goody3335
Contributor
Contributor

I’m on version 5.0.0.16964. Does your console work?

0 Kudos
MicaHZ
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to install using Win7 compatibility mode but I have the same console issue.. Smiley Sad

There is a workaround for this issue: you can use VMware workstation 8 to connect to vCenter and use that to connect to the console. It's messy but it get's the job done. Hopefully there'll be a fix soon. Untill then we're stuck with workstation.

By the way: workstation should run in Win7 comp. mode to function properly.

0 Kudos
goody3335
Contributor
Contributor

Have you guys tried using the new WSX TP2 the comes with the Workstation 8 Tech Preview.  It's just another work around, but it's pretty cool that you can do everything in the browser and you also don't have to pull up workstation this way.  It works on Windows now.

0 Kudos
squevill
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone found a solution to the "The VMRC  console has disconnected...attempting to reconnect." problem?

I am aware of the Workstation 8 workaround but that's not good enough for me.

0 Kudos
Gideon
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to use Workstation (9) to connect to vcenter server, but I can not open VM's as it complains "Permission to perform this operation was denied.".

Is there a solution?

0 Kudos
cristianmadriga
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue running Windows 8 Pro 64b

Tried to use the Troubleshoot compability using Windows 7 and Windows XP SP3 and wasn't possible to install.

This product can only be installed on Windows XP SP2 and above

0 Kudos
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The problem is fixed now.  Just download the latest version of the  vSphere client VMware-viclient-all-5.0.0-913577.exe and install it.   Reboot and the problem is fixed!

Stuart ------------------------------------------------ Please award points to any useful answers..
0 Kudos