VMware Cloud Community
amuseic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Can't Boot After Increasing Disk Size

Hello All,

I ran into a bit of a problem. I had a machine with 64GB disk space available, on which Windows 10 Pro was running. 64GB However proved to be slightly too short of what I required it to be. While the machine was running, I increased the disk size in ESXI (Edit -> Hard Disk 1 -> from 64 to 480). In windows I created a new volume of around 400GB with the new space that was available, and everything was just nice and as expected. Until I rebooted.

"An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system."

Now, I haven't changed anything other than increasing the disk size and adding a new volume. Why can't it find the operating system anymore? I went into the bios and checked if it somehow tried to boot off the other volume, but I can't even find it there; just "Hard Drive" with VMware Virtual SCSI Hard Drive and Bootable Add-in Cards "in" it. I have no idea how to resolve this issue, but I really can't miss this VM.

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated:)

Kind regards,

Remy

----------------------- Edit --------------------------

I have booted from the installation CD and removed the extra volume I've created. No success.

Tried to do a Start-up Repair, Uninstall Updates, System Restore, nothing works. They all just fail.

Diskpart at least still sees the 64gb volume as the C drive, so that's something.

----------------------- Edit 2--------------------------

I tried to rebuild the BCD, resulting in something rather unexpected. It successfully found a Windows installation, but when I tell it to add the installation to the boot list, it prompts me with "The requested system device cannot be found.", even though it just found it. urgh.

pastedImage_0.png

----------------------- Edit 3--------------------------

The hard disk is listed as SCSI, listing it as SATA or IDE doesn't work either.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
amuseic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After rebuilding de BCD, apparently it was found as an actual OS again. From there on I could fix startup issues in the troubleshoot section of "Repair my pc", which resolved the issue entirely. I still have no idea why this happened, but if anyone ever for some reason runs into this issue:

- Make sure that the main boot disk is on top in the boot priority tab

- Boot from the CD

- Go to "Repair my PC"

- Open the terminal in troubleshoot

- Run these commands:

- bootrec /FixMbr

- bootrec /ScanOs

- bootrec /RebuildBcd

- Restart the VM and go to "Repair my PC" once again

- "Fix Start-Up" should now work, and after that, the VM should boot again.

Thanks continuum​ for the suggestions, they got me further:)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

>> I went into the bios and checked if it somehow tried to boot off the other volume, but I can't even find it there;

>> just "Hard Drive" with VMware Virtual SCSI Hard Drive and Bootable Add-in Cards "in" it.

What are you surprised about ???

In the first tabs of the virtual BIOS only IDE-disks will be listed.

SCSI-disks are only mentioned in the tab where you configure the bootorder.
So this is expected behaviour.

Possible reasons for "not booting after increase vmdk" actions are:

- missing boot-flag with MBR-disk

- corrupt GPT-table

- misconfigured boot-order in virtual BIOS or EFI-firmware

For first 2 reasons you would boot into a LiveCD with gParted and repair it.

To fix bootorder for SCSI-vmdks go into

>> >> just "Hard Drive" with VMware Virtual SCSI Hard Drive and Bootable Add-in Cards "in" it.

and make sure that your boot.vmdk is on top of the list.

0 Kudos
amuseic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.

I've been trying to fix the MBR and rebuild the BCD, the BCD part worked out in the end and when I go into troubleshoot from the installation medium it also contains the option "Continue > Exit and continue to Windows 10 Pro N". When I click on this it still dies though, still no bootable disk found. Does this mean that it is in fact the MBR that's somehow dead?

0 Kudos
amuseic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After rebuilding de BCD, apparently it was found as an actual OS again. From there on I could fix startup issues in the troubleshoot section of "Repair my pc", which resolved the issue entirely. I still have no idea why this happened, but if anyone ever for some reason runs into this issue:

- Make sure that the main boot disk is on top in the boot priority tab

- Boot from the CD

- Go to "Repair my PC"

- Open the terminal in troubleshoot

- Run these commands:

- bootrec /FixMbr

- bootrec /ScanOs

- bootrec /RebuildBcd

- Restart the VM and go to "Repair my PC" once again

- "Fix Start-Up" should now work, and after that, the VM should boot again.

Thanks continuum​ for the suggestions, they got me further:)

0 Kudos