VMware Cloud Community
MultiCubic
Contributor
Contributor

VLAN environment, no network for vms

I'm trying to replace my existing linux server/hipervisor/nas with esxi 6.5. I have implemented in my network VLANs for segregating IOT traffic, management and trusted network. The router is an opnsense bare metal machine that I also would like to virtualize. The switch is a L3 dlink and the ports for server and router are configured as trunk (as per dlink, admit all tagged and untaggged) and the server connects using two ports in LAG. This is the configuration for both LAG ports:

port.jpg

So I installed ESXI and added the second mobo nic for teaming and changed vlan to 4095 that I understand is for allowing all tags. Then on the GUI I added to the vswitch the port groups for my VLANs and tagged them. So I have this:

vswitch.jpg

*there is 666 VLAN because I plan on virtualize the firewall/router.

So there I'm creating VMs on their respective groups, but I can't connect them to the network. testnet there is a virtual machine with linux for testing purposes.

I had configured the management network VLAN to 1, as I wanted it to be on the management VLAN and it got an IP for the correct network. Now on 4095 it gets IP from the trusted lan, so that tells me that the router dhcp and the switch are working correctly. (I've put it back to 1)

Why machines don't get communication?

EDIT: I've tried adding another port group with vlan 0 and linking the testing vm with another vnic, and then it gets IP from dhcp and connects to the network. (Gets IP but still no networking)

I've taken a look at the DHCP server and seen that it has plenty of offline and expired leases for the testing vm and others. The MACs descriptions shows "VMware, Inc." so I don't know what may be happening.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies