VMware Cloud Community
cshenberger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VI Client display issues

When I connect to my VC instance with the VI Client the display continually seems to "refresh"  this refresh is exhibited as a flash.  It never really caused a problem until recently we are rearranging our virtual infrastructure and when renaming a vm if this flash occurs as you are typing I will end up with 2 renamed vms.  The first will be the machine I was renaming and the second will be a random vm in the list.  For example

If I have 5 virtual machines in my VI client display named like this list

VM Number 1 (LOC-VMNUM1)

VM Number 2 (LOC-VMNUM2)

VM Number 3 (LOC-VMNUM3)

VM Number 4 (LOC-VMNUM4)

VM Number 5 (LOC-VMNUM5)

and I rename VM Number 2 (LOC-VMNUM2) to Secondary Web (LOC-VMNUM2)  the list will actually end up looking like this

VM Number 1 (LOC-VMNUM1)

Secon

VM Number 3 (LOC-VMNUM3)

dary

VM Number 5 (LOC-VMNUM5)

I know that these are just display names but we have some scripts that use these names to populate an RDP list to an app we wrote and when they get messed up like this our support team doesn't get new vms in their RDP app and therefore have to come asking what the new machine names are. Then I have to go through VC and figure out what the old name of the vm was and what it should have been changed to.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the refresh or "blinking" is quite normal and has been present for quite sometime.  The way to fix this is to not "show VMs in Inventory".  I usually uncheck this option and view my infrastructure through the Virtual Machine tab.

My guess is the communication between the vCenter instance and it's DB.  However, as stated, it's "normal"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
runclear
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

are you using Windows 7? I've found the 'refresh issues aka; my client would refresh, blink etc' if I had Windows 7 Aero default theme enabled - ... Since disabling that and just running the old skool windows UI - all seems to run much smoother with the client

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102783...

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
cshenberger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using Windows 7 with the old UI no aero. But I also see the same effect when running the client on a server 2003 machine.

Casey Shenberger

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the refresh or "blinking" is quite normal and has been present for quite sometime.  The way to fix this is to not "show VMs in Inventory".  I usually uncheck this option and view my infrastructure through the Virtual Machine tab.

My guess is the communication between the vCenter instance and it's DB.  However, as stated, it's "normal"

0 Kudos
cshenberger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy,

I think that corrects the issue except that the setting won't persist.  I uncheck the  "show virtual machines in inventory view" and if I switch to any other view and then back to the inventory view they come back

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Casey Shenberger wrote:

Troy,

I think that corrects the issue except that the setting won't persist.  I uncheck the  "show virtual machines in inventory view" and if I switch to any other view and then back to the inventory view they come back

The is correct.  The show virtual machines in inventory is the default view.  So, if you switch your view, say to like VMs&Templates, you'll have to uncheck the box again.  Bit of a a pain, but as the old saying goes "it is what it is".

0 Kudos