VMware Cloud Community
Gooose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VI Client 5.1 fails to Install - HCMON Driver

Hi,

I'm trying to install VI client 5.1 Update 1 on Windows 7, and it keeps failing with the following error message:

Failed to Install the HCMON driver

Anyone come across this before?

Cheers

11 Replies
julienvarela
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Did you check this KB ? : VMware KB: Installing vSphere Client 5.0 fails with the error: Failed to create service for hcmon dr...

Or your virus software? try to run your Setup "as an administrator". --> Right-Click "Run as an administrator".

Try then to re-install windows installer.

Regards,

Julien.

Regards, J.Varela http://vthink.fr
0 Kudos
Gooose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Julien

Yeah I have already tried what they suggested in the KB.

Just for further information, this appears to be happening on all Windows7 machines I'm trying.

Cheers

0 Kudos
mrumsey
Contributor
Contributor

Just in case anyone is reading this later - you need .NET 3.5.1 SP 1

VMware KB: Installing vSphere Client 5.1 fails with the error: Failed to install hcmon

0 Kudos
jimcallaghan
Contributor
Contributor

I have been having this issue - as have a few colleagues. Client installs on some machines and not others. Can I ask - is the machine you're trying the installaion on a company laptop/desktop?

We have found the cause of our issues. A product called Lumension Checkpoint Endpoint Security / Sanctuary.  It is designed to control access to removable media. We established that HCMON driver was related to USB 3.0 and we tried someting. Temporarily uninstalled the software, rebooted, and tried the VMClient install again. Resolved.

May be worth noting.

BobMcNally742
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue as jmcallaghan. Removed the Lumension device control module and vsphere client installed ok.

0 Kudos
Gooose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Sorry I forgot to come back and update this post.. BobMcNally is correct, after I removed Lumension device control from the PCs the installation worked correcty.

Cheers

0 Kudos
RKELSALL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There,

For a full process of how to address this issue please find the following in the Lumension KB:

https://www.lumension.com/kb/1688.aspx

You may find other peripheral device control solutions have a simialr problem.

Hope that helps

rgds

RKELSALL

n2spcmusc
Contributor
Contributor

I found this same issue upgrading my vSphere client to 6.0 on a Win7 system with the Lumension Endpoint Protection 4.5 client installed. I uninstalled the Lumension client, reinstalled the vSphere client and no failures! Wondering now though if there is a way to configure the Lumension policies, push them out to the Win7 systems and overcome this installation error.

A big thanks for this!

0 Kudos
borkital
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I found a easy method to bypass this error. Surely, its not the most recommended one, but it works.

I get the "HCMON Driver Error" at the end of the installation, once the files are copied and the software is registered. If you press Accept on the pop-up that shows you the error, the installation process starts a roll back task, so the package is uninstalled.

I just reboot the computer when the pop-up appears, or kill all the process related with the installation (you must find and kill all of them).

After that, the client is correctly installed and fully operative.

I hope this colud help.

0 Kudos
sdkohan
Contributor
Contributor

Admin mode resolve the issue.... just use the command prompt in Administrative Mode and run the MSI file.

jonmc
Contributor
Contributor

As sdkohan states, running command prompt as admin and then invoking the msi from there works as expected.

You will need to place the msi in a folder off that administrator can access so maybe place it in c:\temp and remove once installed.

0 Kudos