VMware Cloud Community
jasonvp
Contributor
Contributor

VGA Console Blank

Greetings -

My ESXi server's VGA console (LCD panel with a standard PS/2 keybd) is blank and I can't seem to convince ESXi to wake it up.  No key strikes wake it up at all.  I know the panel is fine because I can hook it to another server and it lights right up.  And, if I absolutely need to, I can reboot the ESXi server to wake the panel up.  But I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it.

Is there some sneaky way via the server's CLI that I can kick the video card awake?  I know BusyBox is pretty limited in what it allows so I'm guessing I'm out of luck.

Any suggestions? 🙂

Thanks!

jas

0 Kudos
11 Replies
piaroa
Expert
Expert

How about trying a different keyboard ?

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
jasonvp
Contributor
Contributor

piaroa wrote:

How about trying a different keyboard ?

I can certainly try that, assuming I can find another one that isn't being used. 🙂  Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I agree with piaroa, changing the keyboard should solve the issue. However make sure you use an USB keyboard (not PS/2). Only an USB keyboard will be discovered dynamically. Hot plugging a PS/2 device (mouse or keyboard) could destroy the PS/2 controller in the worst case!

There were changes in the way the keyboard is discovered. Read http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1011852 for details. The article is for ESX 3.5, therefore the solution does not help you, however it describes the issue.

André

0 Kudos
jasonvp
Contributor
Contributor

André Pett wrote:

I agree with piaroa, changing the keyboard should solve the issue. However make sure you use an USB keyboard (not PS/2). Only an USB keyboard will be discovered dynamically. Hot plugging a PS/2 device (mouse or keyboard) could destroy the PS/2 controller in the worst case!

I agree that hot-plugging a PS/2 keyboard is a bit risky, but it's all I have available at the moment (it's been YEARS since I've purchased a new computer w/keyboard... heh heh..).  That said, I hear what you're saying and will have to buy a USB keyboard for it.  Fortunately they're dirt cheap.

Thanks for the pointers.  I'll check back into this thread when I've obtained the keyboard and report.

jas

0 Kudos
jasonvp
Contributor
Contributor

André Pett wrote:

No luck.  I found a working USB keyboard and tried that, but nothing happened.  The display is still blanked out.

Is there no CLI trick I can do from an ssh session into the hypervisor that might tickle it awake?

Thanks!

jas

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

With either keyboard connected do you get a capslok or numlock light to respond. If not you may have a hung process or very busy host. I would try to access the Tech Support mode console (unsupported consoleprior to 4.1) I have had such problems in the past and shut down as many less important guests as I could from within the guest OS. At some point I was able to get control of the console again. I eventually shut down the guests and restarted the Host.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
jasonvp
Contributor
Contributor

David Stavert wrote:

With either keyboard connected do you get a capslok or numlock light to respond.

Yep.  Both keyboards respond to caps/num lock.  The machine is mostly idle.  The VMs running on it are all fairly low-load.

Other ideas?

jas

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would try another monitor or at least make sure the VGA plug is firmly attached. Unplug and replug. If this is a KVM try the plug unplug routine on both ends of the cable. If KVM try another cable location.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
jasonvp
Contributor
Contributor

David Stavert wrote:

I would try another monitor or at least make sure the VGA plug is firmly attached. Unplug and replug. If this is a KVM try the plug unplug routing on both ends of the cable. If KVM try another cable location.

I don't have another monitor to try, and I'm 100% certain it's not the monitor.  It, and the cable it's attached to both work fine on another server.  No KVM involved.

jas

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just a thought. Did you try "ALT-F2" to get to the DCUI screen.

André

0 Kudos
jasonvp
Contributor
Contributor

Turns out it was a hardware issue.  The video card decided it didn't want to send output via it's VGA port (15-pin) but rather it's DVI one.  I found an unused DVI->VGA adapter, connected it to the card, moved the LCD panel to it, and voila.  I have my console.

Thanks for all the other suggestions though.

jas

0 Kudos