VMware Cloud Community
stanastasios
Contributor
Contributor

VERY slow performance on a DELL PowerEdge R210 II with H200 raid controller when i enable raid

hello,

my current configuration is

PowerEdge R210 II

perc H200 controller

2 SAS 1TB HDD

8GB RAM

I have tried to install esxi 5.5 from vmware and from DELL custom ISO but the results are the same. Very slow speed when i have RAID enabled (RAID 1).

I also atached to my message a photo from disk performance. Is there anyone with the same problem ?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

according to Dell PowerEdge RAID Controller (PERC) | Dell the H200 controller doesn't support battery-backed cache. Without this option the controller will operate in write-trough mode (rather than write-back with cache), i.e. each write operation needs to be acknowledged by the disks, thus the high latency. ESXi doesn't do any write caching itself for data safety reasons and fully relies on the RAID controller.

André

0 Kudos
stanastasios
Contributor
Contributor

I am aware of this problem but the extreme delay is only due to lack of battery ? speed in the graph that i post is reasonable ? Is there any place so that i can undrestand the difference between a raid controller with/without battery support ?

0 Kudos
stanastasios
Contributor
Contributor

It took me 1hour to install ms sql server 2012 express !

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From my personal experience, the difference between write-through and write-back operation is usually >10x. In numbers, I saw 5-10MB/s without, and >100MB/s with write-caching.

André

stanastasios
Contributor
Contributor

i will buy a new controller and i will post my results. thank you very much !

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

"...I am aware of this problem but the extreme delay is only due to lack of battery ?..."

No, it is not because of missing battery, but because of missing CACHE, which (according to Dell's web-site) H200 simply does not have:

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/campaigns/dell-raid-controllers

Battery would be completely useless with this adapter, as it has nothing to back up with power. So buy controller with on-board cache (the bigger the better). On most controllers you can overwrite default settings and use cache for writing even without battery, but I would not recommend it (unless you have UPS). So I'd recommend to buy controller with cache AND battery-backup unit (or super-capacitor)...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's certainly true, if there's no cache, there's nothing to back up Smiley Wink

Btw. newer controllers usually use flash backed cache rather then battery backed cache (as shown in the link I posted earlier).

André

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

flash-backed cache is not solution for everything. If you are using flash-memory for storage (i.e. SSD), it would not make much sense to cache data to flash, if you want to write it to flash. The speed of cache and storage would be about the same. Flash-backed cache is more like "level-2 cache": bigger, but slower than ddr-based cache. Still very usefull with common hard-drives, but not so much effective with SSD, or hybrid-raid (HDD+SSD). And not to forget, number of re-writes of flash-based memory is rather limited.

Newer LSI-controllers (and their re-branded derivatives) still use conventional very fast ddr-chips for caching (much faster then the fastest flash-memory), but backed by "super-capacitor" (big capacitor) instead of battery. The same cache-protection is used internally by enterprise-targeted SSDs (which have quite big cache too)...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm actually not talking about flash-based cache, but about flash-backed cache, where the content of the cache is backed up to flash memory in case the host goes down. This way the controller only needs a small capacitor with enough power to backup the data to flash, rather than a high-capacity battery to hold the memory in the cache RAM.

André

0 Kudos