VMware Cloud Community
vci2012
Contributor
Contributor

VDR appliance (should be backed up or not?)

Hi guys,

Just wanna confirm if the backup appliance itself should not really be backed up. As per the admin guide: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vdr_12_admin.pdf - it is mentioned that backing it up is not needed; however, in cases wherein the appliance gets corrupted or other scenarios that can make the appliance unavailable, having a restore point for the appliance may be needed; hence the question. Hope any one could enlighten me on this one. Thanks in advance.

Using Data Recovery to backup Data Recovery backup appliances. While this is not supported, this should

not be an issue. The backup appliance is a stateless device, so there is not the same need to back it up as

exists for other types of virtual machines.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RedLimey
Contributor
Contributor

I am out of the office Friday, March 9th 2012

• Confidentiality Notice **********

This electronic transmission and any attached documents or other writings

are confidential and are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)

identified above. This message may contain information that is privileged,

confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure under applicable law.

If the receiver of this information is not the intended recipient, or the

employee, or agent responsible for delivering the information to the

intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, reading,

dissemination, distribution, copying or storage of this information is

strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please

notify the sender by return email and delete the electronic transmission,

including all attachments from your system.

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

the data is stored at your backup location. You are able to import the settings from that source on a new machine.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I would definitely make sure your backup is stored off-site. If you do that by backing up to tape or exporting to disk is irrelevant, but storing it outside of the immidiate area of your DC is a must in my opinion. (just imagine that there would be a fire...)

0 Kudos
vci2012
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the fast reply Frank and Duncan.

Point taken on the backups being offsite. However, if I am to restore the VDR appliance itself, shouldnt there be any backups of it? Or if in case the appliance get corrupted, since we dont necessarily back it up, then will we have no choice but to rebuild it again and just point it to the previously set up backup destinations?

Appreciate your help on this one.

Joyce

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

i am not backing up my vdr. Because if its corrupt, you only have to deploy a new one and point the new vdr to the "old" backup destination.

You know, deploying a vdr takes about 10 minutes or so.

In my opinion, it´s so less time that you do not need any backup of it. And all data are stored at the backup destination.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

One more thing.

If you edit your datarecovery.ini, you have to back it up befor.

Because this is not stored ad your backup location i guess.

Frank

0 Kudos
vci2012
Contributor
Contributor

I see, cool. Thanks for the help! Smiley Happy

Joyce

0 Kudos