1. Can VDPA have the ability to backup all VMs regardless of operating system and application running?
2. Is there a sizing tool for VDPA so we can properly size the VDPA appliance to be deployed?
3. I Know VDPA has already deduplication feature, but does it also have compression? If yes, what is the compression ratio?
You can find answer of the questions on the VDP administration guide: http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vmware-data-protection-administration-...
Anyway, your answers are here:
NOTE Assuming average virtual machine sizes, data types, data change rates, and a retention policy of 30 days, 1 TB of VDP backup data capacity supports approximately 25 virtual machines
3. I couldn't find the feature on the guide!
1. Yes, it can take backup from all guest OS that they are supported by vSphere.
- supported guest OS for backup in VDPA will depend on the vSphere version? What if I have Windows 2003 VM in vSphere 6.0? Will it still backup since its a VM or not? thanks!
It's possible. I mean that when you can run OS on vSphere, you can take backup from it by Data Protection as well.