VMware Cloud Community
amr952
Contributor
Contributor

VDP Advanced - Backup Job based on Folder

Good Morning!

I just signed up for the trial license of VDP Advanced. We are currently a Netbackup shop with 12 hosts and about 150 VMs backing everything up to 2 DataDomain appliances. Today we use folders in the VMs and Templates to categorize our Virtual Machines and also use NetBackup to backup machines in these folders and apply different retention schedules to each set. What I would like out of VDP is something similar but I am having difficulty figuring it out. Ideally I could just point VDP to the existing folders that I have already created and create the backup jobs based on those folders. After reading a few blog sites this does not seem possible. It seems like the only viable solution is to create Resource Pools in the Hosts and Clusters view and then configure VDP to backup the resource pool. This makes a resource pool just an organizational object which VMware does not recommend. Very simple example:

Production Folder - > 2 Years Retention

Test Folder           ->  60 days Retention

Appliance Folder  -> 30 Days Retention

Of course I can create backup jobs for each of these but if VDP cannot use a folder then new VMs will not automatically be backed up.

Please tell me I am missing something obvious.

Thank you in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies