VMware Cloud Community
parisvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VCenter appliance 5.5 to 6.5 upgrade error Make sure migration assistant is running on the VUM server

I'm trying to upgrade a Vcenter 5.5 appliance to 6.5.

I get the following error:

"Unable to retrieve the migration assistant extension on source vCenter Server. Make sure migration assistant is running on the VUM server."

Log file says:

2018-04-04T15:07:58.074Z - info: VUM upgrade switch enabled, query extensions and get the size info

2018-04-04T15:07:58.109Z - info: Got the extension: com.vmware.vcIntegrity

2018-04-04T15:07:58.233Z - info: MA extension not found

2018-04-04T15:07:58.234Z - error: There is no MA extension for VUM available on source VC.

I've been searching for this error and every article I've found says mount the iso on the vcenter source sever and run vmware-migration-assistant.exe. But my source vcenter server is the linux based appliance so I'm stuck on what I should do?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You still have a Windows server on which VUM is installed. You have basically two options: 1) Install the migration assistant on the Windows server hosting VUM; 2) Uninstall VUM and ensure the extension is removed from vCenter. If you choose 2, you do not need to install the migration assistant as the wizard will no longer see VUM registered.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You still have a Windows server on which VUM is installed. You have basically two options: 1) Install the migration assistant on the Windows server hosting VUM; 2) Uninstall VUM and ensure the extension is removed from vCenter. If you choose 2, you do not need to install the migration assistant as the wizard will no longer see VUM registered.

parisvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok I've located the VUM server run the migration assistant and it says:

It initially asks for the password for the username the service is running as. so lets say ad\vum

I enter that users password and I get:

"Check that VMware vCenter Server at 'VCSA5.5' is up and running, and that the entered credentials are valid.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is your VUM functioning properly? Is it communicating with vCenter? It would seem the answer to at least one of those is "no".

0 Kudos
parisvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm able to scan for patches ok.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you sure you're providing accurate credentials, including password?

0 Kudos
parisvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i created a new password for ad\vum on notepad copied and pasted to the ad user and to the service properties restarted then pasted it into the command terminal to make sure.

0 Kudos
IT_pilot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I also encountered a similar problem when upgrading. I decided it. Now I hardly found an article that helped me. Try it.

http://www.vryan.co.uk/index.php/2016/11/16/vcsa-6-5-upgrade-fail-migration-assistant-vum/

http://it-pilot.ru
parisvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks for that link, when I run VMwareUpdateManagerUtility.exe on the vum server it initially asks for a username to open it, if I use ad\vum user it says the vcenter username and password you entered are incorrect so there is my issue as suspected by daphnissov. So using your link to get round it I use administrator@vsphere.local which then lets me get to the settings which is pictured on the link you sent. But when I change the user in the re-register section to administrator@vsphere.local it says it's completed but it reverts back to my ad\vum user.

FYI the ad\vum user is in the administrators group in the roles section.

0 Kudos
parisvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok I added my ad\vum user to the local admins group of the VUM server and tried rdp'ing to it and got an error "an authentication error has occurred the local security authority cannot be contacted" so there was an issue with the account. I've deleted it and recreated it and added it to relevant groups and the sql db and it's working now thanks for the replies yesterday.

0 Kudos