VMware Cloud Community
TheWizardUk
Contributor
Contributor

VCenter VM Migrations Stuck at 17%

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction with an intermittent issue when it comes to migrating VM’s from one ESX host to another via vcenter.

I am running three ESX servers in a cluster they all run VMware ESXi, 7.0.2, 17630552

The issue came about when we wanted to upgrade the servers with some addition RAM so we started migrating VM’s from one of the ESX hosts.

Various VM’s got stuck at 17%  (Microsoft & Linux) eventually timing out with the status of  (A general system error occurred taskinfo indicates error but no exception specified) and a details of (Preparing VM for live migration on source host)

Yet other / the majority of VM migrations went without any issue.

Whilst stuck in this state the VM becomes unresponsive and does not response to ICMP, RDP, SSH etc.

After the migration job times out the VM becomes responsive once again

Interestingly attempting the same migration once it times out with the above error then works as expected and successfully migrates

I see this issue regardless of source and destination ESX hosts and on various VM’s

Vmotion is running on a dedicated VMKernal adaptor on a separate range from the management network

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the issue is? And a potential workaround?

Thanks

Mike

2 Replies
BrendanKeeley
Contributor
Contributor

I have two stuck at 31%.  Curious of you found a resolution?

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

is you vmotion network bonded? I would suspect something with the bonding.  What do logs say, I think that falls under vpxd.log.

--Alan--

0 Kudos