VMware Cloud Community
jondehen
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA/vCenter Network Placement Best Practice

Assuming we have the following 2x vSwitches (simplified for example, there are more in actuality):

1. vSwitch0 - 10.1.10.1/24 - Management traffic
  2. vSwitch1 - various 10.1.X.1/24 port groups - VM traffic in different VLANs

Our VCSA sits in the same management network as vSwitch0 (let's say, for example, it's IP is 10.1.10.100/24).

Questions:

1. It makes sense to me to have VCSA be in the same network as the Management traffic... correct?
  2. Is there a best practice or recommendation for which vSwitch to have VCSA on?  vSwitch0 or vSwitch1?

To me I think VCSA would work equally well in either vSwitch, but since I'm redesigning things I thought I would see if anyone had opinions.  It would be the only VM NOT on a "VM only" vSwitch so kind of sticks out as an exception.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. Yes, VCSA is for managing your hosts

2. vSwitch0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jondehen
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply scott28tt​!  Is there any reason you recommend vSwitch0 over vSwitch1?  Or just personal preference?

On the one hand, I like it on vSwitch0 because that's the only place where that management network needs to exist... so no need to configure the management VLAN on the physical switch along with the other VM VLANs.

On the other hand, some OCD part of me wants ALL VM traffic to be on certain vSwitches only, and to only have a single management port group on vSwitch0.

It's currently residing on vSwitch0 and just cannot decide if I want to move it or leave it.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For the reasons you mention. It’s not a “regular” VM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
VivekThacker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

There is no such best practice defined by VMware for VCSA (vCenter) network.

You can put in any of the vSwitch as per your requirement. I have seen usually in production environment the VM traffic is separate than that of the ESXi host management network.

Regards,
Vivek Thacker

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos