VMware Cloud Community
ChrisLopes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCB 1.5 for vsphere

Hi,

Is there any documents on how can I implement vcb 1.5 on symantec backup exec 12.5 on vsphere 4.0

I'm using windows 2008, is the following still required. e.g Disabled automatic drive letter assignment

The solution is show in the attchment.

By the way, can the VCB Proxy where the backup exec sits have 2 fibre connection to the controller B.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeteKowalsky
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Chris,

I'm sure you know this but it bears repeating -- communities are great for troubleshooting (especially this community), but they are still no substitute for product documentation and training. There is a pretty good web-based self-paced (free) VCB course at that last URL (You'll need a mylearn.vmware.com account to access the training.) The link disappeared from the VI3 pages a couple weeks ago, but I think it will still work. It goes into integration with BE and NetBackup and other common backup solutions. Your answers are all in there my friend! Smiley Wink

Regards,

Pete Kowalsky - VCP3, CISSP, CCNP, CCSP, ADHD, blah blah blah

(Points for helpful / correct are appreciated...)

Regards, *Pete Kowalsky - VCP3, VCP4, CISSP, CCNP, CCSP, ADHD, blah blah blah* +(Points for helpful / correct are appreciated...)+

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
andosm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

very good description of BEWS and VCB integration is here:

After VCB installation you still need to disable drive letter assignment and do other tasks as in VCB documentation.

Your VCB Proxy can have two FC connections to controller B, but it can use only one (multipathing is not supportet). Do you hava Active-Active array? If not, you may have to change LUN owner from A to B to make it visible to VCB Proxy. Switch'ed environment will be a better approach in this situation: your hosts and VCB Proxy will have access to LUN's on the same time.

--

Pozdrawiam/Best Regards

Andrzej

Pozdrawiam/Best Regards Andrzej
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

please ALWAYS enter diskpart on vcb machines and check the automount disable+scrub commands neither if you think its disabled or not. the consequences if you were wrong could be fatal. if windows takes the volume and auto assigns it the signature is gone and you need to do nasty disk tweaks to restore it. ALWAYS check the automount setting!!!!!

regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
ChrisLopes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is intergration still script required required for backup exec 12.5 for vsphere?

When I download the VCB, there are two option, one is VCB and there other is intergration VCB with symantec backup?

Which one should I download or is the intergration VCB is ued for older version such as 3.5?

0 Kudos
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VCB is only the framework. You need it. And if you are skilled with vcbmounter and other little tools, thats all you need at all. If you want to use third party products, use the corresponding script in addition!

regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
ChrisLopes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I just install a backup exec 12.5 with service Pack 2 with AVVI Option enabled.

I did not installt he VCB Framework, question is that why wen I browse the esx server, I can see the vmdk files?

Thanks

0 Kudos
andosm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

BEWS integrates natively with vSphere API. That's why you can browse vmdk files.

VCB is called when you run backup job (it makes VM snapshot,mounts it to VCB Proxy, removes VM snapshot after backup). VMware Converter is called when you run restore job (full image). You can also restore file backups directly inside VM (Windows only).

--

Pozdrawiam/Best Regards

Andrzej

Pozdrawiam/Best Regards Andrzej
ChrisLopes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Am I right to say that I do not have to configure any vcb intergration script on the symantec backup which in the past which required a pre-script of what are the vm to backup and the postscript

Kindly confirm is this is the understanding.

In the screen shot, there are two VCB software, which one should I download for symantec backup for symantec backup exec 12.5 with vsphere 4.0

Are you trying to say that when I perform a backup, the VCB definetely get executed with the mount point? What if I do not specify the mountpoint and will the backup run?

Thanks

0 Kudos
PeteKowalsky
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Chris,

I'm sure you know this but it bears repeating -- communities are great for troubleshooting (especially this community), but they are still no substitute for product documentation and training. There is a pretty good web-based self-paced (free) VCB course at that last URL (You'll need a mylearn.vmware.com account to access the training.) The link disappeared from the VI3 pages a couple weeks ago, but I think it will still work. It goes into integration with BE and NetBackup and other common backup solutions. Your answers are all in there my friend! Smiley Wink

Regards,

Pete Kowalsky - VCP3, CISSP, CCNP, CCSP, ADHD, blah blah blah

(Points for helpful / correct are appreciated...)

Regards, *Pete Kowalsky - VCP3, VCP4, CISSP, CCNP, CCSP, ADHD, blah blah blah* +(Points for helpful / correct are appreciated...)+
0 Kudos