VMware Cloud Community
InflxxEC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VC issues... Add host to new VC?

So I am having issues with my VC server. It won't boot up for some reason so I am building a new one. The question I have is if my 6 ESXi hosts were connected to that VC how would I go about connecting them to the new VC? I know the proper way to add hosts to a new VC would be to disconnect and then remove them from the existing VC. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you can't disconnect and remove hosts from the other enviornment, just "add host" into the new.  You will get a message saying something to the effect of "the is host is being managed by another vCenter... Once you add the host to the new vCenter inventory, you'll be fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you can't disconnect and remove hosts from the other enviornment, just "add host" into the new.  You will get a message saying something to the effect of "the is host is being managed by another vCenter... Once you add the host to the new vCenter inventory, you'll be fine.

0 Kudos
mpverr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Since you cannot get your current (old) vCenter up and running, you will need to deal with rebuilding your folder/permission and VM placement structure.  IN the future, you should setup a powershell script to extract that info (at least weekly).  that way if you need to rebuild vCenter again (we've had to ourselves twice this year) it makes restoring the structure much simpler.

0 Kudos
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

hi mpverr

would you mind adding here the link where I can find th powershell script you mention

thanks a  lot

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos