VMware Cloud Community
Jbcom42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

V2V sharepoint 2013 and SQL2012 Lab test environment

Hi All Can someone please tell me if this is possible and what I did wrong? The scenario:  used VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client to copy V2V sharepoint 2013 and SQL2012 servers from our production environment over to our Exsi Lab test environment, totally separate from production network.  The reason for this is to experiment with sharepoint 2013. But when we access the test lab sharepoint2013 we receive the following error “the operation can be performed only on a computer that is joined to a server form buy users who have permissions in SQL server to read from the configuration database? Do I need to copy the DC over to get this to work? Is there any dangers in copying a DC over to the test lab?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
rachelsg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to communities.

please explain little more as its say sharepoint farm that mean you aremusing multiple share point server and one db server

If so did you tried converting sql first.

0 Kudos
Jbcom42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi rachelsg

There is just one sharepoint server but it was installed as a farm setup to leave room for expansion in time and one SQL server, I turned off the two live servers then copied sharepoint first then SQL over to the lab, then turned on SQL first then the sharepoint server....

SharepointError.jpg

0 Kudos
homerzzz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you performed the typical troubleshooting steps such as:

Can you ping the SQL server from the Sharepoint server?

Are all the SQL services running?

Are you able to connect to the database instance with SQL management studio?

0 Kudos
Jbcom42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi homerzzz

yep can ping the SQL server from sharepoint server

all the SQL services are running ok

can connect to the database with the SQL management studio fine

I think it is something to do with authentications? just don't know where to begin..

0 Kudos
homerzzz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are the administrative accounts you are using for Sharepoint production AD Domain accounts? What account did you use to connect to the database via Management Studio?

0 Kudos
Jbcom42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi homerzz

yep the accounts used to administer sharepoint are AD accounts, I used the AD admin account to connect to the database via Management Studio....

Thanks for helping....

0 Kudos
homerzzz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am a little confused...you said your lab environment is separate from your prod. Are the servers you V2V'd joined to the prod AD domain? If so, I assume you changed the server names during the V2V process. If this is the case, there are several guides available that show the proper way to rename Sharepoiint servers.

Are you able to connect to the database from the Sharepoint server using the ODBC administrator and the account you configured for Sharepoint?

Since your issue is not with the V2V process or anything VMware, I would suggest posting this on a Sharepoint site.

0 Kudos