VMware Cloud Community
KaizenX7
Contributor
Contributor

Utilize disk kapacity over 64TB

Hi.

Hi have a Host running on a disk that is 109 TB.

I found that there is a max size of a datastore set to 64 TB.

That mean i have 45 TB I'm not able to use.

Im trying to add the 45 TB as a datastore, but the disk dont show up as disk with free space.

What can I do to Utilize the 45 TB ?

Greeting

Jørgen Gjerdrum

0 Kudos
6 Replies
T180985
Expert
Expert

Surely thats not all local disk is it?

Either way its unsupported to have multiple datastores on a single "disk", you can do it from the PartedUtil but its not recommended...

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

The LUNs were probably created with that disk space and thus presented to your host.

What storage space do you have? Have all storage disks been allocated?

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
KaizenX7
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

The disk is internal in server and also the disk the VM's is running on.

So it is like a normal server disk with no LUN.

The storage is now 62 TB. All that is allocated.

Greeting

0 Kudos
T180985
Expert
Expert

ok well in that case you can either leave the space waste (Supported) or try and create a 2nd datastore (unsupported) using partedUtil... see VMware Knowledge Base

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to ESXi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
mitjvr
Contributor
Contributor

You probably have RAID controller or SAN managing those disks. Most RAID/SAN controllers have the possibility to carve LUN the sizes you want. I would suggest to carve out multiple LUNs with the size of 64TB. Then when ESXi see it you will have multiple disks of 64TB. From here you can provision multiple VMDK disk to the same VM. And if you run Windows you will be able to spanned disk togheter. Then Windows will the it as one big disk. Its not pretty, but it works.

Screendump are showing a server where i have done it one with local disk doing RAID60 over 44x10TB disks. The RAID controller here is based on a LSI3108 chip and is just presenting multiple disk/luns from the same RAID60.

pastedImage_0.png

If you are not able to do data migration then T180985 answer with multiple partitions on the same disk will be the one to go with.

0 Kudos