VMware Cloud Community
tkdunbar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using zip files to update guests in vSphere

I want to start using VUM to update Microsoft guests on a ESXi 4.1 host.  I have been using VUM to update the hosts for a long time, but haven't used it for guests.  It says you can upload a zip file of patches, but I can't find any documentation about where I can get the files to zip.  We patch our physical servers using WSUS and SCCM.  My question is anybody doing this?  If so I would like to know the details, basically how you are finding the files on the SCCM server to add to a zip file.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Hvae you considered using WSUS to update your VM OPerating Systems and Software? I ask this because with vSphere VUM will no longer update VM operating systems - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
tkdunbar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do use wsus on most of the vm's, but we have a couple that are not in our domain, and cannot be reached by our wsus server.  Currently we have to shut down the outside facing nic, enable the inside nic to reach it.  I was hoping to avoid that scenario by using VUM.  Are you saying that's not possible?  Is shavlik a possibility?  

0 Kudos