VMware Cloud Community
chickenandchips
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using the P2V "Duplicate IP addresses"

Hello All,

I successfully managed to convert a physical server which is a Windows 2003 box running on a Compaq DL360 box to a virtual machine using the Vcentre Converter standalone. Now my question is..

1. The physicall server is on a domain should I remove it from the domain and add it to the workgroup then disable  the physical NIC ? So I can use the same IP address from the physical server.

2. Once I have removed the physical server from the domain and add in the same ip address to the new virtual server do I need to make any changes to DNS ? will DNS get confused when a physical server is converted to a virtual server with the same host name ?.

I did try to switch the ip address after shutting down the old physical server however. The virtual server complained that the ip address was in use by a hardware address on the physical server and then I got a message "duplicate ip address"

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks,

Kev

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can also do the P2V without removing the host from the domain if you have a local account on it.

After P2V shut down the old server, log into the virtual clone with your local account (domain account won't work because of the missing network config), configure the network with the old IP, reboot and everything is fine.

Domain ObjectID etc. will stay the same, only thing that is changed is the MAC, but that's not important for the domain.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

you are in right track. ie, removing physical host from domain and disabling the NIC.

we dont need to do any changes in DNS for adding the new VM to the domain.

I guess the error you recieve here is due to the hidden device which present in the VMs which are P2Ved.

Follow the KB below, hope it will help to get rid of the IP conflict error.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1014169

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can also do the P2V without removing the host from the domain if you have a local account on it.

After P2V shut down the old server, log into the virtual clone with your local account (domain account won't work because of the missing network config), configure the network with the old IP, reboot and everything is fine.

Domain ObjectID etc. will stay the same, only thing that is changed is the MAC, but that's not important for the domain.

Regards

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

I Think this will help you out

To resolve TCP/IP stack issues on the virtual machine:

1. Remove and reinstall your virtual network adapter      driver.
  2. Verify, using the vSphere/ VI Client, that the ethernet      adapter is connected and powered:
    1. Enable and disable the NIC and ping test.
    2. Uninstall VMware Tools and ping test.
    3. Connect to host using the vSphere/ VI Client.
    4. Turn off the virtual machine.
    5. Remove the ethernet adapter.
    6. Turn on the virtual machine. TCP/IP is not loaded.
    7. Turn off the virtual machine again.
    8. Add the ethernet adapter – at this point either auto       assign a MAC or manually assign one.
    9. Assign a different IP address to eliminate the       possibility of duplicate IP and do a ping test.
    10. Reinstall VMware Tools and do a ping test
Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
chickenandchips
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thankyou guys

0 Kudos