VMware Cloud Community
stealthrtt
Contributor
Contributor

Using my server as a desktop also when running ESXi 5.x?

These days I’m looking to get rid of my desktop pc tower and just go and build a custom server. Problem with that is the “experts” I’ve spoken too don’t really know how to answer my question. So, I was thinking that hopefully, maybe by chance, posting my question in this forum would help me get an answer!

My server configuration would be something like this:

- Supports 2x Intel Xeon V3 CPU’s.
- Supports least 30TB of SATA/SAS hot-swap 3.5” hard drive space that holds at least 4 HD’s.

- Supports at least 1TB of RAM (4GB/8GB/16GB/32GB/64GB).

- Have at least 1 PCIx x16 slot.

- Have at least 2 PCIx x8 or x4 slots.

- Be a 1U or 2U server case.

- PSU around 700-1000w.

- Have room for a slim (laptop style) Blu-ray burner drive.

Now here comes the question that has stumped many:

Since I am doing away with my desktop, I will need the server to act as a desktop replacement. However, I am needing the server to run the following:

- At least 4 x 2012 R2 OS VM servers.

- Each VM running 2-4GB RAM.
- Each VM using on-board graphics.
- Each VM sharing the (if 4 HD slot’s) 3 HD’s or sharing 7 HD’s if housing 8 HD slot’s. (The last HD in both scenarios would be for the desktop).

- All VM’s running ESXi 5.x.

Now since i'm wanting it to also act as a desktop I need to be able to use it as if I was a desktop. The question that’s stumping everyone is how can I do this when the server will be running ESXi for its base OS? How can I use the PCIx 16x graphics card for just my “desktop” version? If this is possible, will there be any lag from the server to my monitor via HDMI? I know I will need to run an HDMI and USB cable from the server room to the room where my desktop used to be – that’s no problem.

My “desktop” would be running Windows 8.1 x64 Pro with some type of 1/2GB GeForce Graphics card that supports HDMI 2.0 and somewhere around 16GB of RAM. I’m not a big gamer – I mainly just do web design and desktop programming. I’ve been looking at the Dell PowerEdge R730 Rack Server and it seems like a good fit for what I am wanting to do. However, not knowing if I can do what I am asking in this email to you is the only reason stopping me from getting it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

David G.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
illvilja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Seems like this guy has managed to get it working. http://networkingbunny.co.uk/documents/vmdirectpath

From what I can understand the VMDirectPath I/O GPU is outputting to his monitor(s).

Sounds cool.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Once you install ESXi on a machine, it becomes an ESX host and it can host VMs. So you can only use a VM (Win 8.1) on that host as your desktop. I'm not sure about your motive behind trying to achieve this, but to access that VM you need another desktop/laptop/client machine anyway (to run the vSphere client/remote desktop).

0 Kudos
HawkieMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What you really need here, is to use vmware Workstation on top of Your desktop installation, then create the ESX host(s) as vms on the Workstation install.

However I do NOT recommend this approach, as a host machine is dedicated for this use and is better able to perform its tasks unvirtualized.

0 Kudos
daish0
Contributor
Contributor

I have an environment that is acting both as ESXi Host and Desktop.

It works like following:

Server is ESX Host, Vt-d on your CPU(s) is a requirement as well as a secondary graphics card (in addition to e.g. onboard graphics) that is also able to be passed through a VM.

Passthrough the PCIe device (graphics card) to the VM you want to use as desktop, you will most certainly also need to pass through e.g. an USB controller to be able to interact with your VM with Mouse/Keyboard

Devices you want to pass through via Vt-d must also support this, and this is the most problematic step, as barely any hardware vendor does give information about that.

From what I know, ATI cards usually have no problem with that, on NVIDIA side you probably have to buy a Quadro/Tesla or flash a consumer card with a Quadro/Tesla bios (there are some how-to's on the net for some specific cards that match their quadro/tesla pendants on hardware-side like the GTX 480).

This way I use one of the VMs on my ESXi host as XBMC media center directly connected to my TV and input devices with HDMI/USB and full hardware acceleration.

Though I must say that use of ESX and Passthrough is relatively new and you may experience minor/major problems depending on hardware compatibility etc.

Also for logical reasons you should always have another PC/Laptop to be able to access your host remotely if something goes wrong. There are also e.g. Android apps that let you control an ESX host (powering up/down machines etc.) but they don't work on a free license.

Hope this helps.

stealthrtt
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Daish could you send me a PM so i can chat with you about this?

0 Kudos