VMware Cloud Community
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Using licenses of three different editions of vSphere 6 to upgrade a cluster

Aloha,

I have a 12 CPU (3 hosts x 4 sockets) cluster that I want to upgrade from 5.5 to 6.5 then to 6.7.

Our past license purchases have been all over the place. Long story short, this is what I have to

work with -

(2) vSphere 6 Enterprise

(6) vSphere with Operations Management 6 Enterprise

(4) vSphere with Operations Management 6 Enterprise Plus

We will co-term and standardize on vSphere with Operations Management 6 Enterprise Plus in the

new fiscal year. But for now, how do I make this work??

Mahalo,

Bill

0 Kudos
7 Replies
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

The only option to use the same license .

Please check below whitepaper with package details :https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/whitepaper/vmware-vsphere_pricing-...

pastedImage_1.png

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Oehmmm....

vSOM for ESXi Standard is already EndOfSale for a couple of month and vSOM for EnterprisePlus will follow so youre to late in think. Pricsebook comes yesterday and if you like i can check if the SKUs are in or past away.

You have to bought vRealize OPS for 1 CPU and combine it with your existing vSOM licenses if you wanna use vROM. There is also 25 VM Pack instead of CPU licensing available.

I have misread you Post and thought you have vSphere ESXi Std. and first option.

Now it goes more worse.....

What @ have posts is not actually right because your vSphere Enterprise is dropped 2 years ago and you cant buying it any more. VMware offer an upgrade Option to Enterprise Plus of course but they sayed that customers which denied the $$ upgrade have to stay on vSphere 6.x because vSphere Next will not support enterprise editions anymore.

Technicly you can have cluster members with different ESXi Editons but to be clear thats nothing i see often.  You have to use the features from the lowest edition for that cluster. But i think your problem is that you only have 2 + 2 Lics from different editions and would like to assign that to a 4 socket box. If you have an VMware Partner around he can help you .. i also seen that VMware Support provide a time limted license to solve problems like these.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Bill,

mixing different editions is not recommended, as you can't use all the features, as the cluster will only allow features available on the lowest edition.

It will work though.

Cheers

Tim

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

The article provided was just for reference .

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Yeah... its not that easy to find the latest information especially if youre redirected to you country language pages with outdated informations.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-vs...

From my yesterday pricebook. The vSOM Enterprise Plus is End of Availalbilty and VMware will split all existing LICs into 2 pieces which means vSphere ESXi and vROM Std.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

Yes thats correct

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Note aside, since you have vSphere 5.5 and want to go 6.7. vSphere 6.7 doesn't not support old hardware and processors. Please check compatibility as well for the current hardware you have.

0 Kudos