VMware Cloud Community
Wajeeh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using alarms on Vcenter to identify (virtual machine or host failures)

Dear Experts,

I would like to know vcenter alarms can be used to identify host failures and for virtual machines ? Consider case where vcenter is a virtual server running on one of the host and that host fails, the configured alarm for email notification will be triggered ?

Thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
cykVM
Expert
Expert

That would depend on way the host fails. If it completely crashes throwing a PSOD I guess it won't have the time to send the mail out.

For that you would need an external/off-host monitoring solution, e.g. Nagios or the vCenter on a physical stand-alone machine.

You can trigger alarms for hosts, VMs (e.g. for CPU or memory usage, storage, network connection) etc.. Some good reads on  that topic: Learn how to configure VMware ESX Server Alarms and Setting Up & Configuring Alarms in vCenter 5 Part 2 | VMFocus

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Hey,

Between vCenter custom Alerts, SNMP traps, and vCOPS you should be able to configure the type of logging you want within your environment.  Check what version of Vmware your a licensed for as VMware Operations Manager Standard comes with many of the packages now.  This could give you much greater insight into your environment. 

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

To add if you are running vcenter on a VM I would highly recommend enabling HA on the VM -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos